Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a unicorn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a unicorn
    Posted: August 18 2018 at 9:03am
Found one!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 8:36am
The pistol bullet is tiny and flatbased. The powder has alot of room in the case to move around. The cotton batting keeps the powder charge from uncovering the flash hole.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 8:27am
Thanks lads! I was lucky enough to find 100 174 gr Prvi FMJ boat tails in Canada. I've used factory FMJ's on fur critters before with pretty good success (not to big a hold in their jacket!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 7:24am
You can also use a .32 cal lead ball with about 10~12 Gr of Unique!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 6:40pm
I used to use 174 gr FMJ factory loads for coyotes with pretty minimal pelt damage, but have long since ran out. In Manitoba, you can use FMJ's on for bearing animals. Does anyone know if 174 FMJ .303 bullets to reload are available in Canada? Thanks!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 5:28pm
Interesting. Goosic. If you do find that info (ft/sec, bullet drop, powder type/amount, overall bullet length... why the cotton batting?) I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 5:04pm
I can't find my Sierra load chart. You can load a 100 grn 32 caliber pistol bullet in a 303 case,pack the powder charge with cotton batting and,BANG! Varmit load...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 4:15pm
I'm gonna just stick with shooting .303! I was looking for something Enfield'ish for varmint hunting. Not that I mind shooting coyotes with 150 gr .303, as there are so many of them and farmers want you to eliminate. In prime, you can get $40-50 unskinned (if it doesn't have a 150 gr ProHunter sized exit hole!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 2:12pm
& a U.S. Dealer with an export one (ITAR again)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 12:36pm
You have to find a Canadian vendor with an import license.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 8:53am
Scratch that idea. I live in Canada and we all know how tough it is to get anything firearms related shipped from our southern friends.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 8:16am
Yes it is.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 7:58am
Goosic. Is that an American company?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 6:40am
No laughter here HT. If you're going to do something like that, contact Criterion and have them make one for you. They have the original contour lines to make new No4Mk1 barrels anyways and if they're starting out with a blank,tell them what you want. They might even make an HB in 7.62 for your No4?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 6:17am
I looked of the forum archives and found discussions in regards to the .25/.303. Sounds interesting for a really bad shooting No4 Mk1 I have. Without wanting to spur a round of incredulous laughter, does anyone know if these barrels are available? In Canada? (Let the laughter begin!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic