Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

375/303 dies etc... help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 9:42pm
....buggered if I know! Both my mags are '41 Lithgows, and an original LSA which is a bit tight but will fit.
The bullet in yours looks fairly long, mine has .600" of projectile outside the case and the case is 2.492".
This batch of cartridges was manufactured in December 1931, I have three live rounds left and I hope to take a fallow with one of them next season.

sorry about the size of the pics, there's a thread on 375 Lee Speed mags on the Nitro Express Forum at the moment. If you're not a member I can PM a copy to you.

Roger   
roger
Will Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 10:24pm
Thank you for that effort!  
Yep, one of my best friends suspected that the case and or overall cartridge length was the culprit.

So the modern Kynoch loads are a bit longer. Good for my Pattern 14.

Still am planning to chamber my sporter Lee in .375/303. Fun all the way around Big smile 

Soldier, warrior, faith, family and friends.
Will Hunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Hunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 10:26pm
And I'd like to know a lot more about that tang safety too on that Lee Speed!
Soldier, warrior, faith, family and friends.
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 11:25pm
My thought was to get some old double barrel shotguns with the tang safety, and modify them to fit the Smellie, easier than making the whole thing....

This is the BSA setup...

....any thoughts....

Roger
roger
Mike Britton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Britton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 5:35am
Just joined the group, so I am dragging this thread back up to the surface.
 What about the .38-55? I have been "pipe dreaming" this conversion for some time.
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 4:31am
I have a factory built .375 Enfield with full engraving and a 5-shot magazine. At only 3kg the rifle handles like a sports car. Stewart bullets here in South Africa made cases for me from modified 9,3 x 74mm cases. He made the 270 grain soft nose bullets with a thinner jacket so that at they will still reliably expand in game at 100yards when velocity will be down to 1850 fps. It is a lovely gun and it shoots like a dream.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 4:50am
Jan, would you be able to post some dimensions of your 375 barrel? The diameter of the chamber area in front of the action, an inch in front of that and the muzzle dia. and overall barrel length.

cheers

Roger
roger
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 1:40am
Hallo Roger.
I will measure and post the dimensions as soon as I can.
Regards
Jan
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:27am
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:28am
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:29am
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:38am
Hallo Roger. Here are the dimensions of my Lee-Enfield .375 barrel. The length is 24 and a half inches.
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:40am
Sorry here is one more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 1:34pm
Thanks for that Jan, I built my 375 on an old LSA action, but the barrel is a bit heavy as I didn't have an original barrel to compare diameters to.

Roger
roger
janf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 1:34am
Pleasure Roger
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 5:49pm
I just happen to have a 375-303 case.  It's one of these.  These are formed from 303 Brit cases. An ironing die is used to iron out the doughnut after openening the necks.
303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic