Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Bitish kit turned you on in 1965

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Bitish kit turned you on in 1965
    Posted: September 12 2018 at 7:03pm
For me it was Bert Greeve's rendition of fun.

I made a living at it for thirty years.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 7:18pm
i was admiring the older fellows bikes that lived in the neighborhood in those days , they had just graduated high school and they had just returned from europe - toured it on triumphs , i think they were trophys they bought new when they went over for the summer , they brought them back and i was not just impressed but hooked , my first was a 650 bonnevile in 72 then after the wreck a 750 73 , i miss that one a lot , 

i was shooting the 1915 BSA mkIII at that time with surplus ammo my father bought at sears , it is what got me into the rifles et all , 

OH , and i was driving a 1957 triumph TR3 when he allowed it , its what i learned to drive in at 10 a number of years previously , by 65 i was looking to buy my own car and it was in that year i found my 66 olds cutlass - no more manual transmission till years later 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 4:25am
In 1965 I was 2, but somewhere I have a picture of me standing next to my Dad's BSA with a huge wrench in my hand. Which sort of paved the way for my career I suppose; because I stil have a wrench in my hand today!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 6:16am
In 1965 I was 22. so it was in this order
1 British girls.
2 British Beer.
3 British guns, usually high quality shotguns.
4 British motorcycled,
And of course British money so that I could afford the above.

Now I am 75 and the only thing that has changed is the guns. Due to a shoulder injury I can't use shotguns so I have to make do with full bore rifles.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 6:21am
Greeves "Scottish" for me!
Everyone thought it was a twin because of the dual exhausts, but it was a 250 cc single!

Once you got used to the leading link & front brake it was a great off road ride!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3302/3615429484_dd5e682ccf.jpg
! Used it off road in the Brecons & Preseli Hills strictly off road as I wasn't old enough to get a license yet!
Oh & my faithful companion from Webly & Scott!
(Actually a "Premier"  the Hurricane/Tempest hadn't come out yet.)
Carried in a Pat 37 holster & web belt!
Big smile

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 8:26pm
i cannot argue with any of your thinking my friends , there is just something proper and right in the world when you follow these lines of thinking , 

i gottsa add this - in the early/mid 60s my father took me with him to the sports car races he loved , we visited a lot of tracks and saw a lot of great cars actually racing when they were new , i fell in love with the ford cobra - it is my dream car , but im talking the cobra team - the british AC body that i still believe is the epitome of design , 

i would love to own and drive a british AC , but with their wooden frames and all these years i doubt i will ever get close to one of those , i would love to have one of the original cobras , but i know that aint ever going to happen in this lifetime , i would be most pleased to own one of the kit cars AC cobras one day ----might still happen but unlikely , so i dream 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 9:17am
This is what your after then! A 427 Big block Competition spec AC Cobra. 
This belonged to one of our clients back in 1999. Did a bit of carb' work on it just to get it running sweet.
A proper motor car!

Or this one that a friend of mine used to race. 

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:53am
A-Square,

I thought it was only the Morgan had the ash frame.

Sham,
My Webley was a Mark 1. Still is for that matter!
My o'wd Bike was a BSA Star. 500 twin.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:06am
From the roof of my High School we could see the Shelby factory and test track. Just the sound was intoxicating.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:06am
& of course not forgetting my favorite Brit 60's classic! There's a BMW R90s in there too yaknow?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/122331720777-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:09am
Yeah I thought it was the Morgan & the Landie?

"Guaranteed never to rust", yeah, but the woodworm was he!! to fix!
Censored

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by MJ11 MJ11 wrote:

From the roof of my High School we could see the Shelby factory and test track. Just the sound was intoxicating.

You were right round the corner from me.
I was in Bedfont, (Feltham), South of Heathrow for a while.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:27pm
nope - there were a lot of early british cars with wood vframes in the era i admire , or maybe i only admire those that started with wood frames , im old - i loved old british cars , just sayin .....

those two are both ones i would love to have , the red one is not the right color tho - gotta be the american blue or [i know im out of line here ] the british green to make me happy , OH and no - i do not need that 427 even tho i might really enjoy it , the tickets would kill me - i would be happy with a 289 sprint because i just want to drive it not race it , im old - im looking at enjoyment only with everything that i do these days , 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:41am
Nowt wrong with British racing green, A-Square.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 7:07pm
absolutely not - my favorite color , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 10:25am
Nearly all pre-war car's had ash frame fixed to the main steel chassis for the body panels to attach to. Morgan however carried on with this method long after the other's had stopped.
There's a 289 Cobra next to the blue one in the photo; the narrow wheel arch body is much prettier in my opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic