Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt handle moving around when fully closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt handle moving around when fully closed
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 1:42am
Good Morning all- this is my first inquiry post.

I’d like to say, first, that I appreciate the knowledge base that is apparent on this forum. I also appreciate the politeness of everyone here. Now, on to my inquiry.

Ten years ago, I bought a mismatched numbers Lithgow No 4 mk 1 from Century Arms. I arrived with a dogged stock, and none of the parts numbers matched. It looked to be a cobbled together weapon, and it had import stamping near the muzzle of the barrel, underneath. When it arrived, The rifle looked rough to me... being a Mauser owner. I wanted an Enfield because of the legends. my plan was to make another -what I think of as a “woods gun”- one that I would carry up a tree into my hunting stand of the day, and would likely never need 200+ yard accuracy..

I wanted a gun to convert into a deer rifle, I did so. Using a composit ATI stock, their scope mount rail, and attaching a rubberized case illuminated NC Star scope. After finishing the assembly, I was unimpressed at the range with accuracy at 100 yards. There appeared to be some slight denting at the muzzle, and the lands and grooves of the barrel looked to have “fought the war” being worn.

I liked the look of the gun, please see photos. Apologies for the upload of the photos, I don’t know why the two photos are upside down.

I had the gun inspected by a local gunsmith. He was satisfied with the weapon’s overall safety to use. I had him re-crown the muzzle, and the range accuracy became what I wanted it to be, yay!

I have taken many deer with this rifle since. I am happy with it’s performance from the tree stand. The question (finally) is about the looseness I’d the bolt. After ramming a round home, the bolt handle is a bit loose. There is a 1/2 inch of loose play in it where I can move it without disengaging the head from the receiver. This seems a bit weird to me, however this was my first enfield. I do have a coupe ofMausers where this problem does not exist a’tall. I recently purchased a No 1, Mark 1*** made in 1909, and there is no “play” a’tall in the bolt.

Any advice is appreciated!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 7:45pm
im not a source for the sported rifles , but a certain amount of play is not uncommon in the enfields - they lift a little but i think you are wise to ask , there are some here that are way more knowledgeable in this realm than i that will respond i think , 

i will say welcome , thanks for joining our merry group - do not get put off by the joviality as that is just our way here , we mean no harm but it is not uncommon for a thread to go askew a bit , enjoy and join in , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 9:04pm
Hi. I'm definitely not one to tell someone else what to do with their respective rifle but,that serial number is indicative of your rifle being made at the Maltby plant,and with the AA prefix following the 13**** makes it a fairly early 1942 example. Putting it back to its original form might be something you could consider. Again,I am not telling you what to do with your rifle. I myself just finished ruining a perfectly fine example of a Maltby by converting it into a 7.62x51 version with target sights. Bolt lift is a very common issue, especially after firing a round.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 9:52pm
You definitely do not have a Lithgow No4Mk1 rifle.
The letter prefix followed by a 1 indicates it is a Maltby rifle. Look over the receiver close and you will see a couple of very small circles with letters stamped in it and a stylized M on the butt socket.
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 3:22am
Thank you for the replies. And, the welcome, A Square 10.

Interesting that the rifle was not made in Lithgow. It was sold as such to me by Century Arms, and I was going on that. My purchase of the weapon was 15 years ago, and it was fairly inexpensive ($180.-). No promise of consistent serial numbers was given either, just that these were from Australia.

I find some of the marks on these rifles somewhat cryptic. Not being as knowledgeable as I could be, I guess.. I enjoy studying and understanding things, for example I feel knowledgeable on the Mauser 98K. Thank you, Goosic, for that clarification.

In looking at this forum’s converted-to-sporters Enfields, I am impressed by the craftsmanship others here have done. There are some beautiful rifles posted on this site!

Also thanks for the bit on the bolt lift when expending a round. Mine does this with every shot. Nice to know there isn’t a problem in the making!
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 3:48am
When posting photos, how do I do that without them turning upside down after posting?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:36am
I'm  not sure!
How are you producing them & how are you posting them?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:46am
I might be corrected on this but,as far as I am aware, The only Enfield Lithgow made was the No1Mk111 during WW1...
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:48am
Welcome from Canada, Whit!

Odd that Century sold it as a Lithgow.  Lithgow never made No 4's.
Maltby, as others have said.

Some pics of your No 1 Mk 1 would be very nice in another thread..  :-)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 6:49am
The "Angry Beavers" strike again!
Censored
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 8:05am
Shamu- I took the above photos with my iPad. Posted them using this sites icon above.

Pukka - thanks for the welcome, and

I got the No. 1 Mark 1*** last week. Bought it from a gunsmith in the mountains of NC. Will do on posting photos of it in another thread.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 8:37am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 9:24am
Thank you for the welcome, Honkytonk. From Manitoba, wow... can’t say I’ve ever been.

I am located in central North Carolina, in the deep woods near Greensboro.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 1:29pm
lithgow made rifles well after WWII but they were only no1 rifles not no4 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 3:28pm
Well, whitjr, it's only a quick 1,700 mile 26 hour drive to my back door!
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 4:14pm
They speak English up there, right? Laughing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic