Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWI trench art

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWI trench art
    Posted: September 27 2018 at 11:29am
I have a small collection of WWI and II artillery she!! cases; and generally I go for the standard unaltered cases. 
However recently I found a pair of 75mm French field gun cases that have been modified; probably in period and they are in remembrance of the Chemin des Dames. The names Cerny and Craonne, being two of the villages destroyed during that battle. Being the centenary year for the end of WWI; I thought they should have a place in my collection. They are 1917 dated cases.

My only other trench art piece also mentions Craonne; which is partly why these ones caught my eye. The workmanship on these two is quite good; although not a nice as my first piece below.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 4:19pm
Drool!
Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 4:44pm
Zed: isn't that the "Vichy" french symbol on those cases?
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 6:05pm
beautiful , they are fantastic , glad you saved those 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 4:34am
The "Croix de Lorraine" was used by the French resistance in WWII and the Free French forces.
Prior to that it was also used in the Alsace region flag before WWI. So may have some significance as to the origins of the soldier who sculpted these. It originally dates from the 14th or 15th century.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 4:53am
I've seen the engravings in the limestone tunnels at Beaumont Hammel, where the Newfoundlanders were hunkered down. They are fantastic.
I've seen WWI lighters made in the trenches out of spent .303 casings.

I'm always amazed at what creative minds glean from the debris of war.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 6:20am
I thought Vichy was a double bitted axe as a symbol?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PdQ27QrkszY/UAvudcyuHcI/AAAAAAAAJMo/Rf9DnpJVM-s/s1600/Coat+of+Arms+of+Vichy+France+-+Syria+-+Reflections+-+Peter+Crawford.png
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 9:19am
I've been keeping my eye out for a proper trench cigarette lighter. I've seen some broken and incomplete ones, but nothing worth saving yet.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 5:48pm
i have seen them in folks collections but you wont get them till they die and they go out on Ebay or whatever , well worth the search tho , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic