Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Sarco barreled recievers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 1:42pm
Rob3Bruce.
The receiver for the 2A1 is its own receiver,made with a higher grade steel to handle the higher pressures of the 7.62. The rifle was made between the early 60's thru to the mid 70's. The 2A1 is not a,"conversion". It is it's own rifle from the get go.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 11:29pm
R3B, if you have a military and mechanical background then I'm sure you will enjoy working on these rifles. I am a car mechanic by trade; but found working on the woodwork to be very enjoyable and also very beneficail to the accuracy. However I read lot's of information before starting. This was for my No1MkIII* rifle that had major accuracy issues when I bought it.
It shot or maybe that should sprayed! bullets around a 12 MOA group initially. Lot's of work done and now it's around 2MOA.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 11:56am
Here's a photo of before and after targets from when I refitted the wood properly. This was the No1 MkIII* with a new barrel fitted. The wood on this rifle looked great, but the fit was awful; interfering with the barrel and poor recoil lug contact.

I studied the process  for setting up the rifle from a couple of sources. One being the writings of Captain Peter Laidler; a British armed forces armourer. The information is freely available on the milsurp.com website. Absolutely worth reading before buying anything.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Rob3Bruce.
The receiver for the 2A1 is its own receiver,made with a higher grade steel to handle the higher pressures of the 7.62. The rifle was made between the early 60's thru to the mid 70's. The 2A1 is not a,"conversion". It is it's own rifle from the get go.

There's actually a lot of debate recently as to if that's true or not.
IMO the jury is still out on it.
Dead

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 7:42pm
I was told that as a teenybopper and do not know otherwise. My dad bought one of those Gibbs 2A1 cut down to look like a Jungle Carbine rifles. The only marks I found on it was a RFI marking along with a date,1966. It does not matter to me one way or the other to be honest.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 8:47am
Do it!

By the time you are finished you will have learnt a lot and be ready to do it all again with another one!

If you are restoring back to 'original', the job is more of assembling than building, but it has to be done right.

If you are building a custom sporter, then your local machinist is your friend.

There are a lot of members on this board who have been there, done that. Built some pretty decent examples that shoot very well. 

Just ask and you will get answers from the voice of experience.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic