Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lead Sled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lead Sled
    Posted: October 06 2018 at 3:41pm
This spring buddy bought a Lead Sled to site his rifles in.Tried to talk me into getting one. I have a front tripod rest, and a Coldwell bag. I shoot well of these. Two weeks ago he asked me to help him site in his .300 Win Mag Husquava. Nice, mid '70's rifle. 3x9 Zuiess scope. He's shot BC goat, elk and whitetail with this rifle.first string was 3" low @100yds from this very dependable rifle. We adjusted, and he had about 2.5" group. Happy, but confused. I did some research on Lead Sleds. Bad news, in my opinion. More so with Magnums. I never liked the idea of a battened down rifle with that much recoil. Where does it go? Not your shoulder? I found big rifles fired from a Lead Sled probably will have optic (scope) issues, or crack wood stocks. Sure enough, his nice stock is cracked at the usual point. I now need to repair, which I have done with several rifles. Savage Model 99's are infamous for this crack.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 4:47pm
Those magnums do pack a wallop!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 5:42pm
John Arbuthnott (RIP) had a 300 weatherby Mag. Fired it once, must've been 20+ years ago...I'll bet that deer is STILL running!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 9:16am
Yes!
Its not well known, but stocks are designed to be used with a little "give" under recoil. Basically to let the wrist be sized better for grip & aesthetics! I'd never use a lead sled.

I got a tripod & butt bag a couple of years back, up till then I used a small sandbag on an ammo can(or worse)!
Censored

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 6:12pm
i have a lead sled , it is nice for sighting in , takes the human element out of the equation , as long as everything else is set correctly - tight - adjusted correctly and you use a consistant ammo you can restassured its on , then its up to you after that , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:36am
The problem isn't accuracy though, but extra stress on the furniture because thee is no "give" in the mounting. That6 delivers much more of a shock to the wrist of the stock.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 9:19am
Shamu, I agree. The front of the rifle, on his model, also staps down. There is a small spring under the front part of the carriage. I'm guessing for rifle lift, but it is minimal. He also puts 30 pounds of sandbags on the base. I can't help but think where the butt sits is actually makes the rifle about 2" longer when you settle in to shoot. He mentioned he was getting a shadowing ring in his scope that he doesn't when fired from the shoulder, so in my mind, eye relief on optics is different also.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:01am
I think that's mostly for sighting, the rifle is supposed to lift free & drop back into the bunny ears bags at the front! There are several LED Sleds nowadays, but I've never heard of "strapping down the front end"

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:07am
His is a Caldwell Lead Sled Solo. It has a Velcro strap just in front of the bunny ears. I found a picture of it on the Internet by funching in Lead Sled. It took me to Midway US A. His model had the double curved backbone.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:51pm
ahhh , i do not lock mine in at the forearm or wrist it floats in the fron and rear supports but has the buttstop to simulate the shoulder - mine has a padded stop , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic