Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primer Tool? Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primer Tool? Which one?
    Posted: November 05 2018 at 10:34pm
Well starting to work on reloading. So do not have an auto loading auto turret press. Thinking about loading the primer by hand press not using a bench press. 
So what hand press do you like?
1st Lee
2nd RCBS
3rd Hornady or ?? 
Thoughts? 
I have the old style Lee small primer hand press setup. Going to try it out tomorrow night. Learning more and more. 

Later 42rocker

Thanks for the info Honkytonk, added the Hornady to the list.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 5:01am
My buddy uses a Hornady hand primer. It's pretty quick and he likes it. 
25-5 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 2:18pm
For my rifles i like the Lee Auto bench primer tool. 
Two wood screws mount it to my bench.  I remove it when done.
I got it when my old Lee hand press died after 40 years of service.

For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 9:16pm
i have not had good luck with the RCBS universal , but the older ones that use the she!! holders have served me well , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 5:24am
The Hornady hand loader uses rcbs she!! holders. A little tricky putting the ram in and the tray on! My buddy got his in pieces so it was a bit of a puzzle. It came with two trays. A large rifle and a pistol primer I believe.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 9:53am
Well I wish that I had the money that my play toys want me to have. If so I would buy a new Dillon XL650 and Rock & Roll.  Meet Mr Dillon once at the Shotshow when it was in Orlando, Fla.. Nice fellow to talk to.
As it is I buy what I can, when I can at gunshows. The Lee hand primer that I bought came with about 7 she!! holders of which there are 3 different sizes, anyone need an extra #2? Also only received the small primer seating die and tray and not the large one.
So that's why I was asking as to what type you folks liked used.  If I buy everything that I need I might as well think about buying a complete new setup.
That said I did have the right she!! holder for the 9mm so gave the Lee a try for 8 primers and it worked great. So as least I can start with some 9mm. Have the .303 die set for a later time. 
Enjoy my friends. 

Later 42rocker
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 11:52am
I have the Dillon XL650 rig. I use it for pistol and rifle reloading. For the pistol I use it as intended; with powder load etc all done on the rig. Very happy with the rig after making a few minor adjustments. It is reliable and fast.
However for my rifle shooting; the powder I was using would sprinkle onto the she!! holder. That leaves a doubt on the actual load in the case. I'm sure this issue is probably due to the type of powder.
Anyway; now I use the rig differently for rifle reloading (.303 and 7.62 NATO)
1: I de-prime all the cases on a homemade rig. 
2: Ultrasonic clean. 
3: Trim to length. 
4: Resize on the Dillon rig.
5: Degrease the resized cases.
6: Press in the primers on the Dillon; only loading the case by hand onto the primer position and remove. Rotating the primer holder by hand each time.
7: Fill powder by hand using an electronic powder trickle scale.
8: Back on the Dillon to press the bullet.

It's quite a long process; but I prefer to be certain about the powder measurement. 
I would probably be better off with a hand loading press for the rifles !
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 12:57pm
My reloading gear looks like something Fred Flintstone would use. 40 year old Case Hand press, RCBS she!! holder(s), old RCBS 050 Scale and RCBS powder measuring unit. RCBS dies. Use my daughters old rock tumbler she outgrew to polish brass. Makes nice bullets, though...
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 1:39pm
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm thinking that mine is going to be a mix of Ford, Chev and a few VW parts as far as the reloading equipment goes.
All of my friends have Dillons, was tried still did not fit the budget. 
So I'm going to use (at this time)
1. Lyman 4 hole All American with RCBS powder measure No primer setup.
2. Lyman 1 hole single stage press which only has a large primer arm
3. Redding 1 hole single stage press does not have a primer setter..
2 & 3 will share a Lee powder measure, I think.

Right now going to use the #3 Redding for most of my rifle resize and depriming.
45 acp and .308 and 30.06 and 8 mm mauser which will then be primed in the #2 Lyman single hole. Then loaded in the #1 Lyman 4 hole press. I think??
.303 will be reloaded in the #2 Lyman, again I think.

Such Fun, still learning, just trying not to spend ever last dollar I have, LOL. That said within the next 2 years I hope to finish rebuilding a M3 50 cal machine gun in semi auto. How much per round? OMG.

Later 42rocker
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 7:46pm
my friends have the dillons - they work really well , one for the rifle/pistol and another for the shotguns , we have others in the reloading room - a hornaday 366 for the cowboy shotgun , mecs for the cowboy 45 coly and cowboy 38/357 , even a mec for the cowboy 410s , but the dillons pump out the trap loads and the 223-308-3006-etc hunting/competition rounds ,  as well as the 45acp-9mm-40cal competion rounds , we do load the cowboy long range 4570 on the rock chucker tho 
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 8:01pm
Where I'm at for now. I loaded 108 primers into 9mm cartridges without any major problems so I'm going to use the old Lee hand held for anything that uses small pistol and small rifle primers. Then try to use the Large primer arm set up on the Lee single press for anything for large primers like the Brit .303.
On the Brit .303 I'm happy to say the I have a hand held loading kit and a Lee 3 piece die set and she!! holder so I'm now looking good for the future of reloading .303. Going to need a lot of .303 ammo also because besides the Enfields I have, I'm working on a Semi Auto Vickers. Now to get a lot of reloadable .303 brass. Have a few hundred rounds of surplus but need a lot more I can reload. LOL don't me always need more. 

Later 42rocker
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 8:56pm
Update 
Bought another Lee Hand Primer tool with both setting tools. One for large and one for small. Then while at the same show bought a Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm and another one for 45acp. Going to learn a lot about them then going to set them up and use them. But going to de-prime and resize them off the press. Someday might use the press as it should be, but most of the problems reported are in the primer feed and setting. Going to use the All American turret press for .303.  
In the learning mode at this time. Any more ideas?? 

Later 42rocker
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 9:12pm
im comfortable with my 45 colt and 12 ga , im working on my 45/70 gov , i shoot these regularly , 

i have yet to dig into my 45acp/9mm/38colt/38S&W/455/38spcl , and then the 303brit/223-556nato/308-762nato , they are piling up for retirement time , i have a lot of stockpiled ammo for these 
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 6:05am
The 45/70 a  big round.  I saw a lot of stuff for those rounds at the last show. They have a cowboy area at the range. Also a 200yd line.  And several folks that shoot the 45/70 stuff. Myself I have a couple of trapdoors, As far as shooting them not sure that I want to do that. Yet that is.   
Stay Warm A square 10. 

Later 42rocker
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 7:15pm
thanks rocker - we are near;ly out of the woods this go round , its only -6 now was -35 this morning , but both my wifes car and mine have started regularly through it all ....so far .... 

im developing cowboy long range 45-70s , the ranges i shoot at have a full size buffalo plate at 600+ yds , that is the goal but im fighting inner thinking on powders right now , 

i had a 88 rod bayo trapdoor i shot with low pressure smokeless loads using trailboss , it worked fine to be able to shoot that cleanly , it will not do for the long range as i had been loading , i need a bit less arch of the bullet , but even my sharps needs a low pressure load to qualify in this game , ill most likely end up with a faster powder , 

i want to be as traditional as possible as ill never be as competitive as those that win these matches , they are younger and have better eyes , i just want to participate with my friends , i have the rifle might as well shoot it right ? 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 7:30pm
I prefer a hand priming tool, you feel the primer bottom out in the pocket.  I use the Sinclair made tool, beautifully made and will last my lifetime and my grandchildren’s lifetime.  It uses the Lee she!! holders.  

For reloading rifle cartridges, I prefer a single stage press.  I like having the control and concentrate on one operation at a time.  Here’s my sequence:

1. Tumble fired brass cases to clean.
2. Lube cases if being FL sized.
3. Run cases thru sizing die and deprime. 
4. Set calipers to max case length, pass sized cases thru calipers, “No Go” cases get trimmed.
5. Clean primer pocket, chamfer necks.
6. Tumble if FL sized to remove lube. Ensure no media in flash hole (3/32 drill bit works good for this).
7.  Prime (hand tool)
8. Charge case with powder. I do not weigh every charge, but I ensure measure setting is calibrated with scale before charging cases.  
9. Seat bullet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic