Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New lithgow no date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New lithgow no date
    Posted: November 09 2018 at 3:21pm
Hey all i have recently purchased a lithgow with no date stamped on the band under the shield serial numbers match and there is lots of markings on it , any help in decifering would be awesome it headspace at field but barely closes on it . Here are some pictures .i also re oiled my 1913 in shamus magic mix recipe Oh my god what a difference that makes .
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 6:21pm
its been to india , the GRI FR marking for 1932 indicates that , the disc looks to indicate issue in november of 1920 but only other thing i can tell you ids it was originally made at lithgow as a mkIII 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 6:26am
Possibly 1914 by the four digit serial number. Can’t say with any certainty.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 8:37am
It's lucky the Indian's didn't remove the Lithgow marking itself. Lots of these rifles that were repaired by them were scrubbed of manufacturers marks so you don't even know where it was originally built.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 9:06am
Glad you liked the finish. Was that the"Old London" Boiled linseed  oil & she!!ac mix?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 9:40am
It was he 50/50 BLo and mineral spirits one. Going to hit my 13 and 14 with it again today
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 9:52am
Shamu, what's the BLO and she!!ac mix?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 2:24pm
in second look the bolt head looks to be a mkI with the other half of the charger bridge ---but i could be seeing wrong 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 5:13pm
There is something different with the bolt head, A_square. I didn't notice it until you said something. Smerdon, could we please get a picture that shows the whole bolt please?
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 4:40am
Guys here are pictures of the no dated Lithgow it’s on the bottom darker wood up against my 1913 Lithgow
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

Shamu, what's the BLO and she!!ac mix?

Its called "Old London Oil", its a 50-50 mix of LInseed oil & She!!ac. It never really mixes so you make small quantities (just an ounce or two) & shake the heck out of it (like salad dressing) before applying. Store leftovers for a day or so in a small capped glass bottle.

Apply it with a couple of cotton balls in a 3" patch, rub in vigorously, continue applying & re-wetting patch till it gets "tacky" as you rub it in HARD! It may look uneven at first, this is normal.
Dispose of cotton ball & patch as if flammables (which has been known to occur).
Keep going till the stock is evenly coated.
Leave overnight.
Next morning buff away wet remaining liquid with vigorous polishing with just patches.
Repeat as needed, it may take several coats to get a really high gloss shine.

It used to be the standard for hand-rubbed oil finishes, but it considered too slick & shiny nowadays. It does have one huge advantage if you want a glossy smooth look though. Any scratches or scuffs can just be re-coated & blended in.

He used the alternative, BLO & Denatured alcohol, same idea, but not as slick & dries faster. It penetrates deeper for first coats though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 7:34pm
i do think it to have a mkI bolt head - can we see a top view of the entire receiver please ? 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 1:55pm
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 2:05pm
Gents I’m not seeing anything unusual about this bolt head.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 2:51pm
#4 is a bit odd by itself. Standard was 0-1-2-3?

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 4:32pm
I’m not sure what the 4 indicates but it’s common. No1 bolt heads weren’t numbered as per size like the No4 rifle. This one just looks normal for No1 Smle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic