Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

And another great day on the range!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And another great day on the range!
    Posted: November 16 2018 at 4:54pm
I may not be a typical forum member.  I really enjoy shooting these rifles, and find it a personal challenge to improve my shooting.  Yes, I would love to collect more Enfields, have one of every mark, build my own, look at them all lined up in the safe...  
But, I get more enjoyment by shooting these outstanding military service rifles on the range.  And today was another fine day.  

I started out with my M1, somewhat frustrated with my prone slow and rapid stages, but thrilled when I shot my personal best standing slow stage with a score of 96-2x on the SR target at 200 yds.  I couldn’t beat that score today in prone slow with sling.  I then thought if the problem was too much sling tension, so loosened one notch and improved the prone slow group to a 98-2x.  

Then, it was my No. 4’s turn.  This is a Mk 2 with CA 7.62 barrel and PH 5C rear sight.  Awesome shooting rifle.   As my Dad would say, “no wonder we won the war”.  Shooting prone slow, with sling, easy clean on SR target at 200 and 300 yds.  Then, dialed in the elevation for 600 yard MR target, judged the 3 mph right to left wind as 2 MOA, took my first shot:  a 10 at 5:00.  Then shot another 9, all in the 10 ring, giving me a score of 100-4x.  The group was 10.6 inches center to center (1.77 MOA).  I’d like to see one of you guys with a No. 4(T) beat that in prone, no support.  I’m sure it can and has been done.  And I’m not saying it’s all me, I’m saying this rifle and load is just very good.  

These rifles were made to shoot, so get out there and enjoy!!!

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 5:37pm
fantastic - i cannot see that far anymore without the scope 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 6:39pm
A Square, don’t underestimate the “power” of a small diameter aperture.  I’m using a PH 5c rear sight with the apature dialed down to mid range, about 0.04 in. Diameter, and using 1.0x reading glasses.  My right eye is terrible for near and far vision, it’s so bad that I’m considering retraining myself to shoot left handed because my left eye is so much better.  

On the service sight for VMR matches, I’ve epoxied a thin brass sheet over the apature with a 0.047 dia. hole.  I don’t know if that is match legal in other parts of the world, but it should be!  I’m fighting these aging eyes all the way.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 7:12pm
Britrifles. I went out today with the Faux No4Mk1 T Savage and  shot prone at my rifle range today. No sling,just my elbows. I had to shoot at the 300 meter range. The 200 and 100 yard range is bench shooting only. My first cold bore shot was just below the bullseye. My fault,I flinched. The remaining nine shots were pretty much where they should have went. I have repeatedly tried to get a tighter group but to no avail. I was never taught to target shoot. I was trained to shoot very well however. All ten shots are kill shots,nine of those bullets are touching each other. PM me when you get a schedule for the next CMP in between mid January and February.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 4:26am
Goosic, that’s just amazing.  That rifle is a National winner.  It could easily make a perfect score of 400-40x in the Vintage Sniper Match.  I doubt anyone has done that before, the highest score I could find was 398-23x.

The Vintage Sniper Match is shot at 300 and 600 yds.  Your  9 shot group is at .3 MOA, well inside the X ring on the SR Target at 300 yds.  I’ve never even come close to this, even with a scope off the bench.  I see no reason why that wouldn’t go all the way out to 600 yds and hold the 1 MOA x ring on the MR target.  

Alright, I’d challenge anyone on this forum to beat a 0.3 MOA 10 shot group!!

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 5:44am
I could beat it.
With the first shot that is!

Congrats to both of you for such fine shooting!
It is something I itch to do, and don't get at for some reason.  This morning I could try, but its minus 20C and snowing, and that isn't the weather I like to lay around in these days.
A mate has a (Savage Arms) Lapua (however you spell it, that don't look right!) scoped Sniper rifle, and thinks he does well, keeping his shots in 16" at 600 yards.
I know a decent L-E can whip that quite nicely!....without a scope as well.
How I Wish to try!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 7:17am
What is so incredible about Goosics 9 shot group is that it would beat out most F-Class shooters with heavy target barrels, 36x scopes, 6 oz triggers and shot fully supported in prone position.

I think that group size might beat the F Class 300 yard 20 shot record on the MR-63 F Class target (which has a 1.42 inch X ring).  If he had shot another 11 rounds, the group would have likely opened up a bit.  

Clearly an exceptional rifle and an even more exceptional shooter!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 7:21am
That group is even smaller than .3 MOA.  Goosic, if you still have the target, measure the extreme spread center to center.  I think it’s about 1/4 MOA.  If it’s 300 meters vs 300 yards, then it’s even smaller!  
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 10:13am
I am very impressed by how well you guy's shoot and how well your rifles are set up. 
I know my rifles are pretty good. I also know that I should shoot better. 
I'm not bad; just too many inconsistent shot's that throw the group. Unfortunately our club only has a 50 metre range; which is great for the .22's. But not so good for the .303 and 7.62. The errors don't show so well on the shorter range!
This year the full bore range has closed for work; (that's not getting done!)
So I have recently joined a second club with a new 200 metre range. It's an hours drive instead of 15 minutes; but I hope to get to shoot more at that distance and really try and improve the regularity and shoot to the full potential of my rifles.
Seeing your targets is a real motivator.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 2:06pm
Zed, accurate shooting has always interested me.  Right from the day when I was a kid 50 years ago when my dad took his No. 7 down off the display wall to shoot a crow off the power line from the back bedroom window and string it up by the feet over the garden in hopes that it would scare the other crows from getting at the corn sprouts.  Well, it worked for a few days.  But, for me, it planted a seed that later on in life sprouted to drive me to go to the range every week to see what these rifles are capable of.  

I thought I had been doing pretty good, but I was wrong!  Goosics shooting is in another class, WAY ahead of me.   I had no idea these rifles could be that accurate.  So many things have to come together to produce groups that small.  Mental mind training is a big part of it.  I doubt I could ever get close to that.  Yesterday, I had a .5 MOA group forming prone slow at 300 yds, but the 6th shot blew it out to over 1 MOA.  I wasn’t shooting with a scope, but it wouldn’t have made that much difference for me.

I hope this thread will encourage others to go out and shoot these wonderful rifles that have an incredible history serving the free world.  I’ve not seen any US military service rifles shoot as good.   My 03-A4 Repro won’t even come close to Goosic’s results, the best I’ve shot with that rifle is about 1.5 MOA for 10 shots.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 2:33pm
Lee Enfields don't speak 'Murican, so when folks here tell us how they cant be any good with 2 piece stocks, rear locking lugs, rubbery springy receivers blah, blah, blah, they just ignore it & keep shooting tiny groups.
Star
Long, long ago & Far, Far away:

68 year old "eyeball, non-calibrated No1 Mk1" ain't wot it used to be though.
Nowadays this is about it for me:
Not too 'orrible for a 200 yd shoot on a 100 reduced for 200 B-34G. (Called Flyer at 9 o'clock)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 2:54pm
Shamu, most will think I’m anal, I’m an engineer, I can’t help myself.  Numbers and data can’t be argued (although some will try to).   You have been shooting a while, what were the best of the best Bisley shooters able to do with the No. 4?  Shooting a clean target in the days that the No. 4 ruled the target range would be holding the bull for 10 shots, about 2.5 MOA.  That’s a far cry from a .3 MOA group.  

I’ve concluded that the No. 4 beats out the M1 hands down, no competition.  I’m talking about comparing the average as issued No. 4 vs the as issued M1.  Same goes for comparing the accurized match No. 4 vs National Match M1.  I think the No. 4 rivals the 03 National Match Springfield.  An accurized O3 will shoot MOA.  

Bisley and Perry National Matches back in the day were shot with issue ammunition, although it was usually special runs of “match” ammunition.  Today, we have the advantage of much better bullets and tuning the loads for our individual rifles.  Maybe this makes a bigger difference than I thought.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 3:12pm
Shamu. Still impessive! Will do what the Lee Enfield was designed to do. Negate an eminate threat...
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 6:26pm
Well I'm hosting my Builders and belt fed shoot next Sun, Nov25th, 2018 and planning to take a new Enfield that I just bought and see how it goes. I'll post pics at a later time.
As well as the above shooting HaHa The above is Great Shooting - Way to Go!!
Really you folks have out done yourselves!! Great Job. 

May You be able to shoot that way as long as you want to. 

Later 42rocker
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 4:54am
This target is of the first 10 shots I fired from my Maltby No4Mk1 Resistance rifle. 
As some of may remember, I added this rifle to my small collection last year; it had been properly stored for over 70 years; having been air dropped to local Resistance fighter's in 1944. It is in totally original condition with very little use.
First 5 shot's were at a 6 O'clock aim point due to being on the 50m range. Bit of sideway's drift from me i think.
Changed to the bull as point of aim for the second set of 5. Which was much better.

I have not yet shot this rifle at 200 metres. I'll let you know when I do?

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 5:51am
Since ammunition has been brought up, when working at a gun shop, we had a customer unhappy with a build we did.  He was using military match ammunition and unhappy with his inch and a half groups at 100 yards.  Toldhim to try Federal match ammunition and his groups were cut in half.  Much better ammo today.  Alan 
Retired USAF, NRA life member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic