Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

primed cases, what to do with them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: primed cases, what to do with them?
    Posted: November 18 2018 at 6:10am
I bought a group of 223 brass from a friend. In the group was around 30 primed cases that someone had used a pliers / whatever to remove the bullets. Leaving a very badly bent up neck on almost all of the cases. I can't dream of an way that I would think about trying to fix the necks. So I don't want to just trash them as the primers are still live but?? What should I do?? Not something that I want to try to chamber in anything that I own just to pop (shoot) the primer.
So requesting ideas. Soak the primed cases in water for a few days then??
No, not going to throw them in a fire for the fun of it either. 

Have a Great Day. I'm going to spend part of it taking a few pics of the new Enfield that I just bought. Will try to post them later. 

Later 42rocker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 6:39am
Do you reload?
If so just slowly push (don't hammer) the live primers out with your decapping pin.
The worst that will happen is a loud "BANG" & a dirty die body!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 8:40am
Shamu - Thanks for the reply.
That is something that I've thought of but the necks are so bad, that's like crushed closed in several cases. Worry about hurting the dies, I know steel vs brass, but a scratch in the die neck could happen and I don't think that the primers are worth it.  The two other thoughts are; 1st put them in a vise and pop the primer, using all the care that I can.   2nd return to sender / giver and let him deal with them. Main thing is I don't want to see anyone get hurt because I just threw them in the garbage or whatever.

"Do you reload" - Well that's something that I'm working / learning how to do. Reloaded thousands and thousands of shotgun she!!s and 2 - 9mm luger rds. Have a questions on the 9mm RCBS die settings that I'm trying to get RCBS to answer. Their phone lines are down due to Calf fires. I hope to take a few of my reloads to my shoot next weekend, Nov 25th, 2018 and try them out.
Have the Lee reloading dies waiting to get some reloadable brass and bullets. Can't wait till I start that area. Learning on 9mm first. 2019 is coming.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 11:20am
The best way I know of to kill primers  is a light spray of WD40.

I first found this out many years ago when a friend decided to clean 200 9mm rounds with it. Not one primer survived and this was when sprayed on a complete round from the outside.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 11:53am
Another use for WD40, thanks for the info Stanforth.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 3:31pm
I've had mixed results with WD 40, some worked fine & others sat for weeks & still fired. I don't know why, but it seems less than reliably consistent to me.
Do you have a bolt or something with a  head round about 1/3" dia? Spin it into the case mouth with an electric drill then do the resize & extract thing, maybe? Some kind of mandrel or tapered something or other?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 3:48pm
I have removed 100's of live primers from rounds. Inertia hammer to remove the projectile, pour powder out, light lube then thru the resize/decap die. Never an incident... But. In your case, loose the brass. Not that expensive and if the necks are as bad as you say, I'm sure that it's not worth trying to save. Just my $0.02 CDN worth!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I've had mixed results with WD 40, some worked fine & others sat for weeks & still fired. I don't know why, but it seems less than reliably consistent to me.
Do you have a bolt or something with a  head round about 1/3" dia? Spin it into the case mouth with an electric drill then do the resize & extract thing, maybe? Some kind of mandrel or tapered something or other?

Were they all the same type.. Boxer or Berdan?
If the failures were Berdan it could be that it was because less of the actual priming compound was exposed particularly over the anvil. .... Just a thought.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 5:11am
I don't think you would damage the sizing die.  The Lee die has a tapered mandrel as the neck expander, and it's quite hard.  This should open up the neck before it gets very far into the die.  You can also adjust the expander to sit lower in the die and push the primer out before the case gets sized by the die.  If the necks are crushed closed, cut them off. 
I have heard of using WD40 too, I've not tried it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic