Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine Cut off - 1907 SMLE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 8:57am
Excellent information there Asquare10. I'm going to print that off and keep it in my notes.

The prefixes that each factory used cycled through the alphabet, when they reached Z, they went back to A and started the sequence again. Just imagine finding two rifles with the same serial number, not impossible but highly unlikely!

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 9:20am
Open for interpretation but generally, the part of the rifle referred to as the wrist is the metal band that sits between the butt stock and the fore stock. Also known as the butt band or butt socket.
Calling the metal there the wrist is a bit of a missnomer, the wrist is actually the pistol grip or the small of the butt.

The pic that you show of the section just in front of the bolt into which the barrel screws is known as the receiver ring. The barrel just in front of that where it is thickest over the chamber is known as the barrel reinforce. On top of the reinforce is a machined flat known as the nock's form. 

Use of the correct terminology lets us be all on the same page.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 9:26am
Right. Thanks for the clarification on the anatomy of an SMLE. It is all becoming clearer.
So it is the receiver ring will the majority of markings that needs the fuller interpretation.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 12:02pm
The rear (breech) end of the barrel, under the lower (rear) handguard is usually plastered with a huge number of small stamps.

The handguard is only held on by spring clips so its easy to pop off. Just be careful not to angle it sharply a that risks damage to the "fingers" of wood covering the sides of the sight mount.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 5:32pm
huh - did a post get deleted regarding what the wrist was ? i seem to have missed it 
you need to post photo of the wrist band - right side , it has the data we requested , there is more to be learned elsewhere but that  is the starting point , 

the SSA and NRF notations are found behind the bolt on the receiver 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 6:22am
Not by me.

Is it the one a few posts up from Englishman CA?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 10:28am
Okay I will try and remove the handguard at some point in the future. My wife has told me she is going to take the gun away and wrap it for Christmas. Fair doos as she bought it for me.
I did manage to sneak a couple of better shots on one of our girls' iPhone 10 of the receiver ring/wrist.
Any help?
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 4:14pm
nice gift , i think i figured out why i thought one was missing - i skipped a page for some reason , no problem , 

this is the shot we are looking for 

Twodogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 11:34pm
Useless information time.
The inverted crossed swords with the capital Letters 'DA' indicated that the weapons has been proofed as deactivated and the two digits represent the last two digits of the year of proofing as such.
The crossed swords are the marks of the Birmingham Proof House whereas the London Proof House mark would be a horizontal Scimitar sword.

In this case proofed as deactivated by the Birmingham Proof House in 1999.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 9:43am
Thanks Ian. I did find what the DA stood for. I think I mentioned it on an earlier post. As for the photo. Here is one from a similar angle to requested, although I have covered pretty much most of the detail in earlier photos unless there is now something else that you are looking at.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 6:27pm
the right shot the wrong angle the glare and my old eyes forces me to ask the younger among us to see if they can read it , 

i think i see GR and enfield , i cant read the date and the mark looks like II to me but i see Sht LE marking i think , when you reshoot it turn off the flash and use incidental light - no direct beam , 
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 12:12am
It reads
Crown 
ER
ShTLE
Mk111
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 7:02pm
thats what i suspected , looks a fine mkIII to me ,is there not another name or set of letters there ? 

if it says enfield that is the mfgr , not the rifle name - it would be for Royal Ordinance Factory Enfield , its a place of origin , but my eyes cannot discern from the photo - too much glare , 

here is another example of what i mean this was made at ROF Enfield in 1888 , it is actually a martini rifle , or was , before it was converted 

sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 12:09pm
I can't see anything else obvious from what I can see, or have already posted.
The Martini Henry Mk 4 is next on my list. Another classic imperial rifle. That will leave me a fifth on my rack to decide on, that may be representative of iconic British guns.
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by sc-em sc-em wrote:

That will leave me a fifth on my rack to decide on, that may be representative of iconic British guns.

I was going to say Brown Bess or Snider-Enfield, but it looks like you already have them! I'd say that would really only leave a .455 Webley if you're looking for iconic.

If you can't get the real ones over there any more, I saw the other day that Webely&Scott are apparently making a nice-looking metal air pistol version. I think I'm going to have to buy myself one for Christmas.
sc-em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc-em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 9:24am
A .455 Webley. I am familiar with the manufacturer in terms of I have heard of them. Bear in mind I have a militaria fair I went to a couple of years ago to blame for me having any at all. Other than that a book on guns  I had when I was little and another on gunfighters of the wild west, is all I had as a reference. I did always fancy a Winchester 73 and a Colt 45, but would think they would be well beyond any justified price I would want to pay.
So, it's keeping with the British icons for now. I suppose I will have to upgrade my Snider at some point, as although it is a good example, it a Nepalese one and not British. My Bess, is however, my treasure that I really wanted first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic