Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 Long Branch No4 Mk I*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 Long Branch No4 Mk I*
    Posted: November 28 2018 at 11:30pm
Hey guys what do you figure a pristine, unissued, 1950 LB No4 Mk I* is worth?  Found one asking $1600 CAD, thinking it’s $500 more than it should be...

Thx!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 4:02am
I paid $500 for mine (shipped in from the left coast). Its a LB, & in cherry nick. Although, it had been fired.
Personally - methinks its more than $500 overpriced. (How do you know it was "unissued"?)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 4:31am
I have a question regarding the Long Branch rifles; (as I haven't read up enough on them).
they went to the Mk1* during the war to make a saving on the engineering and parts needed (bolt release system). Why did they not go back to the original design after the war? when there wasn't the hurry to build them.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 6:58am
I don't think they did?
Once they switched to the Mk1* I thought they stayed with it?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 7:34am
Zed was asking why Long Branch didn't switch to making the Mk 1 instead post-war.
SteelFlint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 8:00am
Unissued because it looks BNIB... There are no export markings anywhere that I can find.  No Brit proof marks, only “CA”s.  All matching too of course.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 8:32am
NWMPs go for around $1100 around my hood so I’m guessing at valuation for a “new” LB...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 9:21am
$1600 seems to be the going price in Canada. I saw one exactly like that you mention, at a gun show in BC, sell for $1600.The buyer could hardly hand over the cash to the seller fast enough!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 9:40am
Man, that just makes me cringe. I am afraid I will probably one day be priced out of the collecting game altogether. As long as people keep paying this is going to happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 9:59am
I will low ball to help you out Bear!! 

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:07pm

Calibre/Item: 308W
Make: Enfield
Model: L42A1
Action: Bolt
Scope: NO32
Serial No: M36982
Condition: Excellent
Price:$20,000.oo
Advertised:28/11/2018
Licence number: ********
Phone: 0414742619
Comment: Very rare L42A1, all matching complete with transit chest and accessories. This is one of 12 delivered to the Australianicon army for trials in 1970. Rifle is unfired and accessories are unwrapped. Definitely one for the collectors. Impossible to upgrade.

..............Wink............

Things keep going in this direction I may have to sell something.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:36pm
Only a real investment collector could buy a new wrapped L42 and keep it wrapped.
I would have to have at it like a kid a Christmas and be shooting it on boxing day!

Why do they always say these are .308W instead of 7.62 NATO when advertising these rifles.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:38pm
I think that is to appeal to a broader audience for the advertising. Many more people are familiar with .308 than they with 7.62x51 NATO.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 1:20pm
i also believe .308W hunting rifles can handle hotter loads than the 7.62x51 military rifles, although the same cartridge. At least those built on a Lee Enfield action with a .308 barrel. Please feel free to correct if I'm wrong.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 2:09pm
There's been a lot of discussion ( & argument) about just that.
We are going to see a rash of fakes if prices keep doing this.
I was speaking to Tony's kid & he'd found a "Bargain of a lifetime" L42A1 sans scope locally for a crazy price & he's not really an Enfield guy, he likes his AKs. So he asked me. We went back & forth with a Q&A session & it turned out its a fake. It was a 7.62 conversion to a no4, but touted as an original L42!
He walked away.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 2:15pm
Yeah, we have to be more diligent than ever. We saw this happening with the K98's too. I can't remember who said it but someone said once there are more K98 "sniper" rifles for sale than were ever built, and I honestly wouldn't doubt that. Oh well, not much we can do but make sure we pay attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic