Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 Long Branch No4 Mk I*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 7:30pm
i do not think the retooling costs to return to the mkI would have been worth it - they converted right away , very early 1941 production of the mkI was about 10-15K rifles in the 0L to 1L range of the 900,000+ made through 45 ,

i have one that was converted to mkI/2 , i consider it special as there can't be many of the early mkI rifles that survived to be converted , would love to find a longbranch mkI in original nick to go with her but i don't think it in the cards ,

FYI 1950 saw the first use of the 'Cno4 mkI*'  inscription , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 8:17pm
At some point in the 1950s, LB started making the C Mk 4 barrel, six groove RH twist.   There is one of these on my Dads No. 4(T).

SteelFlint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:00pm
Talked the seller down a few, so another Lee soon to be added to the collection. Big smile  So, if indeed unfired... what's the opinion - would you fine people break in a virgin rife?  I'm on the fence; thinking I do my share of novel molestation and forget about her in the back of the safe for awhile lol

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 3:38am
It has been fired...at least once. When it was born
Loose wimmen tightened here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 5:07am
I would fire it once in a while but not on a regular basis. Super nice examples are something to be pampered and there are lots of mismatched and rough examples available for regular range time. I myself have a very nice No 1 Mk III* that I no longer fire. It's a beautiful all matching rifle and I have several mismatched ex-sporters I can plink with so there is no sense in putting more wear and tear on the nice one. Just my thoughts, anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 5:15am
I know what I would do. Clean bore with boretech eliminator before you shoot.  

Break in bore by shooting:

1 round and clean.  Repeat for 10 rounds total
3 rounds and clean.  Repeat for 12 rounds total.
10 rounds and clean.  Break in is done.

Now you have a barrel that will not foul copper.  It has worked for me on new barrels very well.  

Get a good coated one piece cleaning rod.  If you get boretech eliminator, you will need their cleaning implements (jag and nylon brush), eliminator will eat brass and bronze.  This is the best bore cleaner I have used.  Just don’t get it on the stock, it will remove the finish.

I also suggest you get the Possum Hollow breach cleaning rod guide and solvent port adapter.  Use a cloth over the butt stock so the solvent does not get on the wood. 

Enjoy the new rifle!  

Let us know what the rifling is, 2, 5 or 6 groove?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 7:37am
Right.. lap the barrel and preserve for perpetuity, sounds good gents.  I am indeed still shooting the first faux Lee Speed that I picked up and will likely run out of ammo before I run out of interest on that one lol.  Solid advice!

I went to snakes vs rods some time ago - but that’s likely a different thread lol.  Yes will confirm rifling when I have her in my hands and share.

Cheers
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 6:21pm
it has been fired - there are no virgins here , these were made to be shot , take care of it and shoot it - enjoy what you bought or some other bloke will do so after your death , 

forgot to mention - if that is a photo of your new girl pay her lots of attention - she is gorgeous 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 12:54pm
Thanks A Square.  Yeah I've not seen one so clean...

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 7:23pm
yup - no bayonet mount scratches - never had one fitted or only maybe once , you need to bereak her in easy , treat her good , but personally if it has no wear marks at all the hair on the back of my neck stands tall and reminds me we were not always such a gental species on this globe , 

it is a prime example of that eras production from what little i see 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 10:26pm
Will post full close ups when she arrives...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteelFlint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 6:29pm
Canada Post came through today and this fine example of a pristine 1950 Long Branch arrived in my hands safe and sound!  Looks like some handling marks and a safe kiss here and there, but otherwise this rifle indeed looks unfired since it left the factory.  The barrel is still full of packing grease - I venture to opine that this was done when it left the production floor - so I will lap this through, count grooves and report back.  Some pictures below - please so share any insights you might have, let me know if you gents want more angles!  Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 6:53pm
Outstanding!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

I have a question regarding the Long Branch rifles; (as I haven't read up enough on them).
they went to the Mk1* during the war to make a saving on the engineering and parts needed (bolt release system). Why did they not go back to the original design after the war? when there wasn't the hurry to build them.

After the war money was tight. We were demobbing lots of troops and the Mk2 was being produced.
Within 5 years we were involved in Korea and then busy adopting the L1A1 in 7.62 NATO.

Regarding your question (in another post) here in the UK the L42A1 is usually advertised as 7.62 NATO whereas in America it is usually shown as .308. I suppose it depends on which is the most recognised calibre in the particular market.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 3:59pm
true that but i did once have a nice charnwood conversion of the no4 to 162x51 and its chamber and action hated the commercial 308 
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2018 at 7:30am
I’m learning a lot from you gents.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic