Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Packing for elk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Packing for elk
    Posted: November 29 2018 at 1:23pm
Just started making my list for the upcoming elk hunt that starts Monday. Jonnie Walker Black 40 pounder? Check! 24 of Pabst Blue Ribbon? Check! Family pack of nacho chips and salsa? Check! Bung of bologna, musta rd,  letuce and unsliced white bread? Check! I think I'm ready! Wait! Rifle and ammo? Check!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 3:56pm
Don't forget a 12 pack of weiners and cans of beans. No dishes, eat right of the can! Oh and don't forget the hunting license and tag....ask me why I mentioned that!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 4:02pm
Weinies and beanies! Check! License, tag, check! Also, in Manitoba, while hunting, you need to carry proof of passing a Hunters Safety. Mine is from '74 and looks like it was written on parchment paper. Apparently, even though you need a Hunters Safety to obtain a PAL, the PAL isn't good enough.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 7:42pm
government buracracy is all too much BS - if one is required to get the other the latter should be sufficient to produce , ill shut up now .................
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 3:47am
HT: What a croc! Anywhere else, you need proof of hunterb saftey course to get any hunt licence. After that, all you need is your last licence as proof.

(PBR??! You GOTTA be kidding me!! Whats wrong with a "normal" beer?
Johnnie walker?? Why not GLENMORANGIE? I mean..if your gonna do it..do it right! )
Bush's Bourbon & Brown Sugar Baked Beans!!

Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 6:52am
Boots, Honky.  You didn't mention boots.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 8:01am
Here in MD & in Arkansas I'm so old I don't need to take or have proof of a HSC! Apparently you're assumed to be competent if you were born before 1968!
I did anyway just to keep current with local game laws.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 8:39am
So Sham...you got Moses to vouch fer ya?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 9:26am
Boots? Check! We all got our Hunters Safety in '74 at the age of 14 because without it, you couldn't go hunting alone, you needed to be with someone over 16. I live in a city of 35,000. My Dad died when I was 7 so
we never had a car. In 1974 I can fondly remember walking thru town to get to a favourite gopher field just out of City limits with a pocket full of DND .22 long rifle (we had thousands of them from when my Pop was in the army) and his old single shot Coey over my shoulder. Nobody gave me a second glance. I recently passed that down to one of my older sisters boy. He says it still shoots great!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 9:42am
One last item. Cumpass. I've never hunted this area. We are hunting one mile south of a well travelled paved highway. If I get turned around, head north! Who wouldn't pick up a fellow in cammo orange, an Enfield slung over his shoulder, and a blaze orange hat saying "Rule .303"?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 12:09pm
I used to make it mandatory to have a compass @ the cabin if you were hunting..but I stopped that. Theres so many mineral deposits here (every mineral known to man on planet earth..this area is where they got the uranium for the first atom bombs) your compass takes to spinning most of the time. You can't get a reliable bearing...so - use your Fox 40 whistle..thats still a mandatory thing with me.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 1:25pm
What kind of compass did you get?
I got talked into a Brunton & hated the damn thing.
It a card compass with multiple hinged doors bodged on top so you have to reverse bearing & reciprocal scales as you go from plotting on a map to sighting a bearing!
Then I switched to a Suunto "matchbox" & I love it!

I use a GPS as well as I find they work well together.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 3:25pm
Forgot to mention I'm sporting my "hunting season" beard. Another reason I think if people find me on the side of the road they'll pick me up! I have a pretty plain Jane Brunton. No bells or whistles. It always has got me home!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 6:37pm
i never gave my compass much thought till you all brought them up in this thread , i have two outside my GPS units , a set of really nice nikon binocs with built in compas and stadia for estimating distance that i use in my boat [when not using the GPS] the GPS does not give you closeups of the sunbathers on the docks and beach like the binocs do .......just sayin 

and then i have my boy scout compass from back in the very early 60s - not so fancy as yours but it has always worked fine , its in my bug out bag of goodies , i have a nikon range finder for distance long as the batteries hold out , but then the hand held GPS is battery dependent as well as dependent on the government offset of the satellites , 

we can always float a cork and needle i suppose - take a star reading for direction , 
i do keep a magnifying glass in the bag for starting fires - more dependable than other options if the sun is out , 

NO - i am not a prepper , but i have friends that are , do have a bit of ammo that might be helpful 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 8:53am
Just got home after several days of hard hunting. No luck for elk yet. I think it's just to warm. -10 C at night, -5 C during the day. Around here, we need -20 to -25 C to get them moving. Forecast looks mild for the next two weeks.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 11:03am
How long is the Elk hunting season in Manitoba?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic