Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No4 mk1* markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 2:18pm
Thanks for that info.
Our main concern is that he (the O.P.) may think its a shooter as he didn't mention Dewat anywhere.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 5:01pm
Thank you for that information.  I can totally understand  deactivating  a rifle when it has gone beyond useful  operations.  Why are so many,what appeared to have been good shooting weapons deactivated in the UK?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 5:59pm
its the law - i do not get why civilized nations would willingly disarm and leave themselves vulnerable but that is an issue we deal with every day here as well , freedom depends on the peple having the say , we have a say because our constitution left us armed , otherwise the opposition would put us in servatude - think it notpossible ? think again , 
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 6:31pm
I would guess there just aren't enough shooters left in the UK to own all the guns that are available. Over there, you have to get permission from the police for every rifle you buy; you can't just buy an Enfield on a whim because it looks lonely and add it to your other fifty historic rifles.

But it could be worse. I heard stories of the UK government melting down boxes full of historic pistols after Blair's pistol ban in the 90s. Better deactivated than destroyed.

Twodogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 8:11am

Slightly off topic, but in relation to MarkG's observations.

The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 was introduced in the United Kingdom by the Conservative government of John Major in response to the Dunblane School Massacre and the recommendations of the Cullen Report that followed it.

It effectively banned the possession of ALL  handguns other than those chambered for .22 rimfire cartridges by civilians. I lost all my handguns in this cull, melted down I was led to believe.

Tony Blair's Labour Government followed later in the year with the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 which banned .22 handguns.

Yes we do need to get authorised by the Police, but they authorise a specified number and calibre of weapons for each and every firearms certificate issued. Any weapon you purchase must comply with all conditions. The Police also specify where each firearm can be used. The Police also get a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are fit to own a firearm. Your home and security arrangements are inspected. The amount of ammunition allowed to be purchased and owned is also controlled. Ow and it may take up to six months from application to get your certificate.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2018 at 7:41pm
That truly sounds like an atrocity to you and your fellow citizens. I do not know about any other states here in the United States but I do know that,here in Arizona, you do not need a permit to own a firearm, excluding full automatic weapons. We have the right to open carry, including concealed carry. No FFL or C&R permits needed to sell to private owners. We do have to fill out paperwork when buying a weapon from a sporting goods store or gun shop to pass a background check.  If it comes back as delay, a 7-10 day waiting period is issued. If you do not pass the delay,no sales. You can still purchase from a private owner however. I have always had to wait the required 7-10 days but that is because of where I was born,Augsburg Germany. We have a wide variety of small and medium  game animals here and us as Arizonans take full advantage of that fact and will typically have a rifle,shotgun,pistol,black powder rifle and pistol just for all the different hunts we have. We also have a large grouping of shooting ranges as well. Indoor and outdoor. This is not a thumbing my nose at you. Please do not assume that. I am truly sorry that is how it is across the pond...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 6:47am
Goosic, does the delay come from the federal or state level? The reason I ask is that I have never once had the NICS check come back as delay and I was born in Landstuhl, Germany.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 9:00am
Bear: Were you born on a U.S.Military base?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 9:25am
Yes, I was born at the Army hospital in Landstuhl.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 12:03pm
Most tings like this go directly to what the U.S. would call Federal.
Britain is much smaller than the U.K. so a single, national organization makes sense there.
CRO ( a bit like NICS) is National, Fingerprints are a national database & so on.
The local firearms dept (U.S. county police equivalent) forward the initial paperwork to the Home office (federal) for dabs & records, & so on.
Months is the time-frame, god knows why. Back in the days of manual fingerprint comparisons it made sense, all the "little old Grannies" doing the comparing were always backed up & criminal cases bumped firearms checks back all the time.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 6:12pm
MarkG - "But it could be worse. I heard stories of the UK government melting down boxes full of historic pistols after Blair's pistol ban in the 90s. Better deactivated than destroyed." 

you mean these ???? i still have a few ............
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 8:11pm
I was born off base in an actual German hospital. I do not know exactly where the delay is coming from. I've never had to wait longer then 48 hours either. I spent a weekend  in the Maricopa County jail  for drag racing on public highways one night. I doubt  that is reason for the delay though. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2018 at 8:35pm
i know where my delays come from - first i have a most common name for that matter when you add my middle name it becomes even more common and had my first and last been reversed as originally intended it would be the most common , 
second i was born in another state , 
its a momentary delay but predictable every time , for years and many guns , i should make my wife buy from now on - she will inherit them all after all , she was born at the pearl harbor hospital , in the year hawaii became a state 

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 4:28am
Not all pistols were confiscated here in the UK..  This is one of 3 cabinets of pistols that I own.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 4:43am
And some rifles..

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 4:54am
And a few Remingtons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic