Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gunsmith Suggestion Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 3:34pm
You don't need to be a citizen to get a PAL, though it's likely to be easier because the RCMP will have records about you if you are. You just have to take the course and pass the background check.

I don't know what US paperwork is required other than that it's onerous enough that most Canadian gun sellers don't want to get involved with it.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 4:07pm
I dont know where your getting you info from..but I can tell you that a "foriegner" would have to jump thru the same hoops as anyone else to get a PAL.
Thats gonna take a while.( & the RCMP may have additional questions).

Then get it back Stateside.

As I said before...He's American. Get the ATFB involved, & he has no problems.
They will tell him what he needs.
Loose wimmen tightened here
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I dont know where your getting you info from..but I can tell you that a "foriegner" would have to jump thru the same hoops as anyone else to get a PAL.

Uh, yes. That's exactly what I said.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 7:29pm
...& IIRC one of the questions is: are you a Canadian Citizen?
    & another caveat...they want to know your wife's information, & weather or not you have been bankrupt, been under the care of a Dr for mental disorders & on & on.
So just HOW does a non-citzen/resident go about obtaining a PAL in Canada?
Please explain this. I am obviously mis-informed.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 8:13pm
Clap
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 11:23am
Not difficult for a non restricted rifle or shotgun to be shipped out of Canada. The hoops to jump through are at the US side. That, I can not help you with.

I regularly ship pre 1899  long Lee rifles and receivers over the border. The onus is on the US recipient to prove that the rifle is antique. Not difficult to do with the date stamped right there on the receiver. My customs declarations are quite specific and detailed as to what is in the package. Several have arrived at the doorstep of the new owner unopened.

Shipping a non restricted rifle or shotgun up from the states into Canada, that is a totally different story. Permits required.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
MarkG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

...& IIRC one of the questions is: are you a Canadian Citizen?

There's no such question on the form, and specific instructions for extra documentation required for non-residents. That's because you don't need to be a citizen or a resident to get a PAL.

Quote So just HOW does a non-citzen/resident go about obtaining a PAL in Canada?

They take the course, and apply for one.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 3:34pm
As a Canadian, feel our pain! I've been turned down from Brownells and other US companies that simply refuse to ship certain parts up to Canada. Anything related to scope mounts, magazines, and even Repo Cheek piece risers for Sniper clones. I thought you guys were our best friends and allies?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 6:11pm
You have a friend in Az. Honkytonk. Thumbs Up...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

As a Canadian, feel our pain! I've been turned down from Brownells and other US companies that simply refuse to ship certain parts up to Canada. Anything related to scope mounts, magazines, and even Repo Cheek piece risers for Sniper clones. I thought you guys were our best friends and allies?

Well, last time I filled out one of those forms, they wanted all that information..including my wife's maiden name etc.
Fine. I'll get clarity from the Ontario Firearms officer morrow.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 8:47pm
Of course I can add that I've wanted to buy several things from Marstar in Canada and Flat No, we will not ship Anything to the U.S.. I was interested in parts no receiver type materials.
Well that's the way that it is. 

Later 42rocker
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 7:07am
Ok..just spent an eternity on phone with the Cheif Firearms officer for Ontario, to clarify this.
She said: " a non-resident wishing to purchase a firearm in Canada MUST have a PAL(possesion & Acquisition licence). To obtain this licence, you must take the firearms course here. A licence / proof of saftey course from another country is not eligible.
Note: Its highly unlikley that someone from outside of Canada would travel here just to take the course. Then leave while awaiting approval of their licence & application. Then return to purchase said firearm. (PAL is good for 5 yrs.
    She is e-mailing the forms to me, for anyone that wants to see them.
On the form there will be background information requested. The applicant will also have to supply background/security check from their home state (& pay whatever fees that state applies for same).
Her suggestion is: You (meaning me) legally purchase the firearm, & ship it to the person that wants to but it. IF that individual has registered the information with the ATFB, Canada has no legal problem with it, & The U.S. would have no problem with it.
So, it appears as I had said previous. The ATFB is your best bet.(Just don't try to import a Soviet bloc firearm!) You can ask Rhino bout that                 
FrozenND View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrozenND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 8:17pm
Hmm. although this is like an apple vs orange thing but.... When I was in Afghanistan I mailed home by US Postal service an old Snyder conversion Enfield musket rifle. Seems war trophy only apply to current wars.

As a side story, I was a civilian and my buddy and I were looking at old Enfields pre 1900's to buy and ship home. We noticed in the shop they had an old Enfield No 1 bolt action 303 cal. Being curious, we asked how much. The Shop owner said it belonged to the other shop that was located closer to the chow hall and to take there. Thought that was odd, but we could get into trouble doing this, it is a modern weapon, well sort of. We waked through past a US Army guard post, he didn't say anything. Walked by about 15-20 Army guys with their M-16 and a few Lt's, they didn't say anything either. We were wearing T-shirts, cut off jeans, work boots.  Nobody cared, My buddy said to one Army guy when he looked at us, "it's all our company could afford to buy".

Anyway, back to shipping from Canada. It's got to be possible some how. When I was in Turkey at the Incirlik AB, I bought 3 shotguns at an off base shop. The shop owner had his brother in law who lived in the US and was a importer from Turkey. They filled out all the paper work with ATF, once approved and their shipping container was full. It was shipped. About 5 months later, I received an email requesting a FFL to where to ship my shotguns. The AF guys there who bought shotguns, all did their paper work at least 4 months before shipping their belongs including their shotguns home. When going through customs, the approved paper work had to with the shotguns. before moving onto their next base. They did not go through a importer because they owned it already, no FFL and back ground check needed. But there could be an exception for military people.

I guess I just need to call ATF and ask.    
NJ
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 11:21am
"Second, he's not a Canadian citiizen, ergo he will not be able to obtain a PAL (not POL). Without a Purchase & Aquisition Licence, he cannot buy."

WRONGO. I am a federally-licensed PAL-RPAL instructor and have helped many non-Canadians, including two from Africa. Most of whom have later gotten their PAL. I live in northern BC, about 1,000 miles from ND so that would be a little difficult. Once the PAL paperwork goes through, rifles, shotguns, and ammunition can be bought by putting some cash on the counter. There is more paperwork needed from the new destination country but I can't answer what.
Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 8:04am
Back in the late 80s when I was stationed in Germany, Me and one of my Buddies each picked up a CZ-50 Czech Secret Service pistols ....  Jay was under 21 so the Army would not let him keep his, so I took it and filled the ATF paper work out to bring them state side, I also bought a Voere' rifle , so I walk into the Frankfurt air port with said weapons and was taken down at the counter !!! after a strip search and inspection they wrapped up my gun case with security tape and let me move on... When I got state side, jay came to my wedding and while there he picked up his pistol.  by this time he had turned 21 !!!  Now I dont think they will let you bring back pistols .....  not sure since that was over 30 years ago ! now the paper work I filed back then took about 6 months to get a response, during that time I kept the firearms in our company arms room as per the Army Regs.   I even had a weapons card to use to draw my private firearms to take to the range , also the forearms had to be registered with the military in Europe... I still have my forearms registration cards some place around here ! LOL!!!  
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 8:26am
Tonsper: Can you explain this a little clearer for me / us?
Just how did these people legally obtain their PAL?
Did they take the course here in Canada, & was tested by a Canadian officer?
In accordance with the Chief Firearms Officer's directives, that clearly what is necessary.
Yes, once they have the PAL they can purchase here..IF they are here.

This goes back to what I said earlier..Canada has no issue for an individual to export to the States...It has to be accepted on the State's side..which then would involve prior clearance by the ATFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic