Need help with a Bayonet I bought tonight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with a Bayonet I bought tonight
    Posted: October 24 2019 at 6:55pm
that is a rare bird , would love to find one but ive not been searching in the last ten years so doubt ill get so lucky , 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 1:41am
Ayup chaps,

Retracing our steps a tad, and in connection to an earlier comment made by 'A square 10' about Vickers made P1913's.

I've searched through my files and located a couple of pic's of the relevant ricasso stampings. So, due to the Vickers-P13 extreme rarety, here is what you will see should you ever have the fortune to come across such an example...

Left ricasso...

Right ricasso...

This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 7:25pm
you could also seek out a P1903 , 12" blade , its a P1888 with the grip of a P1907 , just a thought , would be perfectly acceptable on that rifle , second from the left 

smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 5:50pm
honkytonk you should be able to find a post war 1907 cheap some have a clipped front that was done during the second war. But most are just regular bayonets 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 2:24pm
In UK service bayonets weren't "matched" to a particular rifle. The same bayonet could have been issued with several rifles. As long as its a Pat '07 for an SMLE (no grooves in the handle. Those are cut for the P-14 or the M1917 rifles) "scales" you will be fine. I agree an Aussie one would be a nice touch though.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 12:58pm
Thanks! I'll open the floor to a model of bayonet, for a wall hanger, would be appropriate for a Lithgow No1 MkIII*? I trust the forums judgment!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

The right side of the wrist band says:
LITHGOW
SHT.LE
III*

Hmm.. A bit of a conundrum this one. As the SMLE is dated to just after WW1, I personally would opt for the WW2 dated '07'

At the end of the day though... it's your choise.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 9:15am
The right side of the wrist band says:
LITHGOW
SHT.LE
III*

Thanks!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 7:23am
he!!o 'Honkytonk',

Well, it depends upon what date your Mk3* is!

If it's WW1 dated, then a 'Lithgow' WW1 dated.

If WW2 dated, then an Australian manufacture WW2 example, 'MA' or 'OA' and dated.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 6:59am
I know I've asked before, but what would be the correct bayonet I would want for my No1 MkIII* Lithgow? I don't need a museum piece, just one to hang on my Man-Cave wall beside my Boker V42 replica. Thanks!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 3:00am
he!!o 'Witjr',

As has been mentioned, 'Vickers' was one of the original manufacturers of the P1913 bayonet. However, they are quite rare, and very rarely seen. In all my decades of collecting, I have only seen one example in real life.

The other two manufacturers are 'Winchester' and 'Remington', with the former being the rarer of the two. Here are examples of there respective markings...

Winchester...

Remington...

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 8:36am
Its a repro (sort of, a bit of a fantasy item really) I found it on E-Bay.
Also available here:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 7:34am
Thank you, Shamu.

That is a dandy frog.  Where did you find that?  Looks like one a palace guard would have.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 6:17am
The images are here, just click on the links to view.
The clue is the "stripes" cut into the wood handles, those inform this is for a P-14, not a Lee Enfield. Those have plain wood, like this.

Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2018 at 4:10am

Many thanks for the response, A Square!  Your information and the photos are appreciated.  

After reading your response, i don’t feel so, well, dumb about having bought the bayonet i have.  Indeed they are very similar judging by the photos you posted.

Certain my photos I put up last night are .jpegs.  While these are loaded to this server, i cannot seem to get them on this thread.  Do you have any insight on that?

Here are the links to the photos I uploaded to the server here.

Download File: 

In re-examining this bayonet in the light of day today, i see what appears to be blood pitting on the blade. Mild blemishs on the blade, Looks exactly like my deer skinning small bowie knife that I have used on many a deer over the years.  

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i suspect what you found is a remington bayonet P1913 , it in indeed intended for the Pattern 1913 and 1914 rifles , it will fit a US model 1917 as well , it is worth what you paid for it if it came with a proper scabbord , it should serve fine as trading fodder for what you want as well , 

WHAT you want is a pattern 1907 bayonet - it looks exactly like what you have save the grip scales will not have the two lateral cots in their wood surface and the muzzle ring will fit the no1 rifle , 

top is the rifles your bayonet fits , next is the bayonets you are looking for , bottom is the bayonet you have , if you look closely you will note that they are identical in style - the muzzle rings are different though and you will note the cross cuts in the scales i mentioned to differentiate one from the other in service , 
if , yours does not have the cross cuts one of two things are responsible - 
first and likely someone changed them , the scales are interchangeable OR 
second less likely yours is one of the very few early ones made as they did not get the cross cuts , that would make it more valuable , 

for what its worth , remington was one of the original mfgrs along with vickers of these P1913 bayonets so it is possible it could be an early one , but by the time they went into production remington and winchester both made millions , both these and the M1917 after the brit contract expired , and there was a brief overlap of that where earlier P1913s were remarked to the M1817 contracts , 
perhaps more than you wanted to know but possibly inspiration to keep it in your accumulation , 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic