Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just traded an enfield converted to no5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just traded an enfield converted to no5
    Posted: December 19 2018 at 9:25pm
As the subject says I just traded for the gun and I've been reading up but I want to know more about it. I was told it's a no4 mk1 I'm happy with the gun (came with about 300 rounds some ap some tracers and many normal rounds) I just want to know if it is what I was told it is the numbers dont seem to match
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 2:13am
Well it is not a No 5 barrel, judging by the outside shape of the chamber.

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 3:27am
Tracers?
We could probobly tell you more with better / more detailed pics.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 6:50am
May well be a "chopped No4 conversion to No5 ish carbine", Can we get more pics. From just that one image it could also be sporterised not "No5 erised".

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 4:22pm
yeah I posted like six pictures but it only took one of them and put it on here and it took the worst of them all once I'm off work I will get some real pictures of the gun on here. I couldn't edit it because of being a new member
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 4:23pm
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 5:34pm
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 5:40pm
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 7:57pm
shamus example is what im guessing you have , its nice the seller told you rather than try to scam you as if it were a no5 , it is not - no lightening cuts on that photo , but as shamu shows these can be beautiful rifles in their own right , 

show us more we can tell you more , 
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 8:18pm
are my pictures showing up should be 5? If so what else should I get pictures of for more info?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 6:46am
Much better we can see them all now, thanks.
You will find the forend is probably longer than "correct" that's because the inside has cuts for lightening with crosspiece webs & they cut only at the web.
Look at the sling swivel band for the difference below.
You have a decent ersatz carbine there. Check for zero though because the cut down barrel & added flash suppressor may have changed it quite a bit.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 6:53am
All in all looks nice to me. How does she shoot?

Later 42rocker
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 7:34am
The serial number shows it was built at Maltby, so that gives your answer. It was a No 4 Mk 1 that has been cut down to look like a No 5. Could you post a picture of the markings on the left front of the receiver? There will be circular inspection stamps in that area.
Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 9:10am
bears43 the only marking on the left side of the receiver says number 5 but you can easily see that they remove whatever markings were there to put that on it. As far as I can tell it shoots pretty accurately but I've only shot out to 70 feet as that is as far out as our local range goes. And that was with the one set screw on the flash hider being loose and wobbling a little but I've tightened it down and I'll know more next time I take it shooting
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 11:40am
Nice rifle.  I had one many (25) years ago, and sold it.  If you haven’t fired it yet, be prepared for discharge loudness with a capitol L, and recoil with a capitol R!

IMHO, old milsurp ammo is both likely corrosive as well as inaccurite.  I have about 400 rounds of 1940-50s production...  won’t shoot it, for those reasons above.  It just sits there in it’s own ammo can.

I’d invest in a new box of 174 grain PPU or S&B to take out for the first time firing it.

Airziross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airziross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 11:52am
I didnt really think the recoil was that bad I have a Remington 870 and the recoil is about the same as birdshot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic