Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biggest rifle I've seen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest rifle I've seen
    Posted: December 29 2018 at 5:56am
I think of the big rounds, the .375 Holland it The best and most versatile by far.
The old Sharps won't damage too much meat, but it Will penetrate.
Old Elmer Keith reckoned it was one of the few rounds that'd shoot through an elk lengthwise.
Mind, I found the Martini -Henry will as well!.  (485 gr slug and 85 grs black)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 7:35pm
No..you have RHINO in south central Louisianna!
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 7:19pm
A few years ago while I was Range Officer a fellow was sighting the scope on his new rifle. He was having trouble and asked me to sight it in for him. I sat down at the shooting bench and adjusted the sand bags and suck and he handed me the ammo: 375 Holland & Holland!  Like we have rhino in North Texas!
anyway I got it sighted in and had full movement back in my right arm after three or four days.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 3:39pm
Go to the Springfield Museum..Theres "guns" on display from the boxer rebellion...used to rest on 2 men's shoulders, & if IIRC was mostly made of wood, & wrapped tightly.
its there..go see it
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 3:11pm
There is a huge Duck gun in the Ding Darling Museum in Fla. Of course a 50cal M2 or M3 does good work to. 

Later 42rocker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 1:41pm
A friend of mine owns a .460 Weatherby Mag. That thing is INSANE! Its designed for big, thick skinned dangerous game in Africa.
This is it in full recoil.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 11:56am

Duck gun
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 9:08am
My uncle has and has used his Sharps 50/120 on mule deer down here Arizona way. The first time I saw one of those rounds I actually  thought  it was something my aunt might have used when my uncle was out of town.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 8:32am
Years ago - hunting with my old group in Wiberforce, Ontario - we had a guy name ofJohn Arbuthnott. He was a real character. He would shouw up every year with something new & bizarre. (One year he showed up with a combination fold up umbrella/seat.) So one year he showed up with a Weatherby magnum. I asked him if was planning on licking the bullet to get any meat after he shot. He told me that he doesn't shoot the deer..he shoots to scare it. (That turned out to be true..he wouldn't EVER kill an animal!)

I was on the stand about 450 yds away from him. He shot. What a noise!! (kinda like the 28 pounder Canada used in Korea & the 2nd twirl @ war). I went to his stand & he told me he tried to scare the deer toward me. (Well, that was 20 yrs ago, & the deer is probobly STILL running!!-if it didn't die of fright!)

I cannot understand why anyone -realistically -would want one of those to hunt with in N.America. Like taking a shotgun to kill a chipmunk!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 6:45am
Honks,
I do not know anything about the .338/.378 WM, but the .378 Weatherby is the most obnoxious calibre on the planet!

No need for it either.
My .303 has knocked a good few elk off their pins, and most didn't need a second shot.   In fact, I think only one did need a second one.
Some silly people out there!
My old elk rifle I gave to my son, was a nice BSA 7x57.  It too would drop an elk with one shot...even a running elk!

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 6:17am
While hunting for elk recently, I met a young fellow that was also hunting. He was carrying a .338 378 Wheatherby magnum. He showed me a bullet. It was freaking huge! He said they were $20/round! I thought to myself to each his own. I didn't feel under gunned with my No4Mk1 and 180gr hand loads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic