Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TGIF 1/18/19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TGIF 1/18/19
    Posted: January 18 2019 at 9:10am
............Tongue.........

...........Clap..........

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 6:42pm
that volcano is either smokin or there are indians in them there hills .........
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 8:17pm
A few hours from home on a weekday, I have a picture from 2003 with what looks like a giant doughnut over over the peak from fifteen miles away. You seldom get a clear day from that distance from all the steam and cloud cover.

There is a water big park they fill every day from the hot mineral water on the North slope. At night from the hotel you can watch the glow from the cracks on volcano mound.

No plastic tubes but 40 year old cement troughs .

Years ago it took four hours to drive there but now they paved the roads and it's just over 2.5 hrs.

.................LOL...............
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 8:40pm
MJ, cap some of that heat and send it here! Got snowed into my place today. 2 foot drifts in my driveway. Lots of shoveling tomorrow.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 8:38pm
yes - here too well below zero F today and tomorrow and monday with snow , i need the heat and oh - i like the other accoutraments in your photo too , theyn look about 40 to my near 70 year old eyes and that would do nicely , 
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 6:40am
Had a cool front start moving in yesterday so went from 76 down. Looks like a high today in the low 60's. Might stay in the 60's for the next week. That said I remember the snow storms in Minn when I lived there. 

Later 42rocker
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 7:12am
-45 Celsius (with the wind chill) this morning. -33 without. And we're only an hour north of the US border. Hurry up, Global Warming!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 7:48am
Only minus 20 C yesterday here HonkyTonk.

We held our first Simo Hayha sniper course shoot.  

Not used to the sights yet on my m24 Lotta rifle, and missed my target at 400 and 500 metres.

At 200, when trying it for shooting centre, it put the three rounds into 1 5/8" after a fouling shot.  (Iron sights )
Cold but bright sunny day.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 7:53am
I've read about Simo. Preffered open sites, less profile. He had a set!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 6:37am
Honks,
Simo as a member of the Civil Guard was issued with a rifle , (M28/30) with open sights, and was a very good shot with them.   I a not aware he ever even had opportunity to try a scoped rifle. they were very scarce.
He thought those opposing him had to show more of themselves when aiming a telescopic sight, and on at least one occasion the glint of glass gave them away.

He said most of his shots were at around 100 -150 metres, though on occasion he shot successfully at well over 400m.

At our shoot, a pal from Calgary put 2 of his 3 shots into his "man", (centre chest hits), at 400 m.  The group size for the 2 shots was 1 & 3/16" centre to centre, with an old Finnish M24 "Lotta" rifle .  Iron sights.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 9:00am
.............Heart..........

I love my old Finn's and they always surprise me with high performance. I think I still have six of them someplace.

Simo also did good with the 6.5 Swede's for a time...

............Cheers........

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:20pm
MJ,

I hadn't read that, about Simo and the Swedish Mauser. Do you have a reference?   I had heard his first Civil Guard rifle was an M91 Westinghouse, and was quite accurate, After that, he used his Civil Guard M28/30 up to getting wounded.  He Was awarded a presentation rifle paid for by a Swedish (I think ...or Danish!) business man, but it was a M28/30 as well.  This is the one in the museum now.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:25pm
There are pictures of him with the Swedish M96 on several sites. Not sure I have a copy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 7:20am
MJ,

Is that the photo where he has a face mask?

If so, it wasn't him, but I may be all wrong still!   (He never wore a face mask, but like I said, I might still be wrong about the rifle)
The rifle he was presented with was paid for by a Swedish or Danish business man, ( I forget) but was an M28 or 28/30 made by SAKO.  It has a plaque on the stock, and is preserved in the old Jaeger 23 (?) museum. 

Best regards,
R.

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 9:55am
As I recall the original information was posted by Brett Snodgrass from a personal interview. It was posted on his website in the late 1980's.

Good loard I'm getting old.

...😞...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 10:08am
Same here, MJ! LOL.

I'll see if I can dig it up.   Maybe the old M-N pages site.....  I'm always happy to learn!

R.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic