Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Savage No.4 Mk 1* zeroing question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley Do Rite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage No.4 Mk 1* zeroing question?
    Posted: January 18 2019 at 3:33pm
Does anyone know what number front sight I need to get factory ammo to hit center at 100 yards with this model? The current installed sight pin/base is stamped +045. I use a six o'clock hold and the bullet hits the top of the bullseye. So from my aiming point to where it hits is about 1 foot. I was hoping a +090 sight would lower the impact point?  Any Help!!??   Dudley
Dudley Do Rite or don't do it at all
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 6:25am
With the rear sight in the down position, the peep sight is the main battle sight set for 300yrds, so using that sight your 6-oclock hold should be a bit lower for POI at 100yrds.
If you flip up the battle site and screw the aperture down as far as it will go, it should show slightly below the 200 mark, that will get you closer at 100yrds, but still a 6-oclock hold.
This is assuming your rifle has original sights and hasn`t been knackered.
The men who used these battle rifles learned to adjust POA to hit targets with  300yrd main battle site, at 300+ yrds aim at the crotch area for a centre of mass hit.
Personally if the rifle is original, I wouldn`t mess with the sights, shoot it and let it teach you where the POA should be a varying distances.
Cheers
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 8:29am
With the target sight raised go 4 clicks below 2 use MkVII ball or commercial 180 gr.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 1:44pm
I was curious what the fixed battle apature height is on the Mk 1 rear sight.  So, I took two of these sights and held them back to back, aligning the battle apature on one sight with the adjustable apature on the other (keeping the axis pins at the same horizontal position).  I found the battle apature to correspond to about 400 yards on the adjustable apature.

I could not find a consistent reference for what elevation the battle apature is fixed at, perhaps someone else knows.  Ive read it is “300 yards with bayonet attached” and “up to 400 yds”.  I also read it was fixed at 200 yards.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 2:07pm
It was standard procedure to not attach the bayonet at longer ranges, but if the enemy closed to 300 or less the command to "Fix Bayonets" was given. The L-E had many subtleties in its design & this was one of them. As you attached the bayonet to the Number 4 rifle the zero changed from 400+ to 300yds by the altered harmonics.
Its also yet another reason for the odd spring loaded SMLE barrel, which did not alter as you fixed bayonets.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 2:11pm
Shamu, this was also my conclusion.  The battle apature provided a 400 yard zero with no bayo and a 300 yd zero with bayo.  Center of mass aim would result in hits at any range up to 400 yards.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 2:14pm
Yes we were taught to aim at the bottom of the  "V" of the uniform jacket. Failing that the top of the belt of the web gear!

A lot of the older drills & practices, particularly the "figure" series of targets  concentrated on COM aiming as well.
Dudley Do Rite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley Do Rite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 9:04pm
I do handload ammo and I have bullets and all the necessary pieces. Can you tell me what the Muzzle Velocity is on the Mark VIII ammo you speak of?. I will load to those spec's and see if I can get it to hit the X-Ring....Thank you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley Do Rite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 6:06pm
As a new owner of an Enfield. I try to learn as much as I can from all sources. I watched the video posted on this forum with the two guys in uniform shooting one of the training courses that was used for marksmen ship purposes. One use the sight with the sight in the up position, the other used it in the down position. I believe the rifle they were using was what I have a No.4 Mk1*. The second shooter used the down sight and I think they referred to it as a ghost ring. Both men stated that with failing light the ghost ring was more useful in low light conditions. I want to hunt with my Enfield and I do not want to in anyway shape or form mess with the configuration of this rifle. It is bone stock military and will stay that way till I take a long dirt nap. Now knowing this information can anyone tell me what front site height I need to get it in the x ring at 100 yards. I hunt Pa. and there are very few areas that I can shoot at a greater distance. I feel comfortable with holding over or under a target once I have it hitting where the rifle is looking at 100 YDS....Please feel free to add what info you can.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 6:40am
Go for 2450 FPS with a 180 Gr bullet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley Do Rite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:16am
Thank you Shamo I will load to that FPS. Or as close as I can get it.Thumbs Up
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 2:03pm
"The men who used these battle rifles learned to adjust POA to hit targets with  300yrd main battle site, at 300+ yrds aim at the crotch area for a center of mass hit."

My scope has both range finding & BDC abilities, but yes I also have aim offs for those situations where there is no time to "twiddle the knobs" & you just aim off of your zero.

NHBandit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHBandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 12:02pm
What are these "clicks" you folks speak of ? My Savage has a simple L type rear sight. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 2:52pm
Then you don't have any.
You could use the ladder target to zero by aiming at the "tin hat" at the bottom, "Making a Mushroom" with the sight blade & but adjusting for bullet strike on the "300" rung of the ladder.
Its calibrated for 300/500 yds only. Print it out to fit an 8 1/2X 11" sheet @ 100% (or draw your own using the measurements) & shoot it at 25 yds.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic