Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Ishi, new 2018 12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:22am
This is not primitive: look at that long range scale, and at the screw with which to adjust the angle of the whole setup to be exactly 90° to the bore.

MY guess would rather be a target sight along the lines of the ( perhaps too expensive? ) P - H 5A.

Australian? Indian ( but not Khyber Pass work )? Canadian? Who used No 1 Mk 3 rifles the most and longest?

Irish?

Hermann
Certified gun nut
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.
A man can never have enough ammunition, books and booze.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 6:36am
India! Or the Solomon Islands if you include police applications.
"Police forces in both the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu continue to operate and maintain stocks of No.4 rifles."

Don't knock Khyber pass engineering, they did some amazingly good work, I just wouldn't trust anything pressure-bearing because of the unknown metal quality involved.
They will fabricate, replicate, copy & re-purpose anything they can get their hands on (including things like threaded rod if they can't make it with taps & dies).
Many are really close, but simplified for hand manufacture, replicas of existing products so the "Like P-H 5A" might be a big clue to origin.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:41am
I think it might be posting photos of that rear sight on the "Milsurps" forum. There is an Australian member there that has an exceptional collection of rear sight's. I'm certain he could identify it for you.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:53am
Does anybody know the thread size of the sight disk(s) in the P H Diopters?

Is it the same as Redfield, Lyman, Marble´s, Williams sights?

3/8"?

Thanks in advance, Hermann
Certified gun nut
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 4:12pm
I think (but am not certain) that its the same as Lyman, assuming a genuine P-H.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 11:22am
from somebody at thehighroad.org:

"7/32X40 has been the standard for Williams-Marbles-Lyman hunting/general use aperture sights for a most very long time, almost a hundred years at least."

I have several Williams sight discs, I will try ASAP.

Hermann
Certified gun nut
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 11:23am
Certified gun nut
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 2:46pm
Thumbs Up
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 8:41am
Ich bin so dumm:

( I´m such a fool )

all things to try in house, no need to go anywhere, ask anybody, buy anything!

Certified gun nut
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 8:51am
Williams apertures, partially with long shank. ( for their WGRS ):

left hunting disk size, 3/8" ( all data from memory ) outside, middle one 1/2", right target disk, somewhere 7/8".

aperture sizes: smallest .050", standard .093, Williams recommended: .125, .150. I think all are in the picture. Target disk with smallest opening only. The "twilight" series has a brass ring, not around the aperture but on the peeps outside. Don´t know if they still make this.

This are my spares, there are some in use on rifles.

Hermann
Certified gun nut
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 9:05am
with Parker Hale 5A:

Certified gun nut
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 9:15am
The Williams apertures fit perfect!

Even the "feeling" while screwing them in was the same, seems dimensions and tolerances are the same!

P H 5A in last 2 pics with Williams Twilight aperture fitted.

As can be seen from the pics, the Parker Hale original aperture seems to be approx 1/2" outside and .125" inside ( I would have bet on .05 for target work, and according to Williams, .093" is "standard" )

Anyway, the 3/8" outside Williams makes for a good hunting peep, .093" or .125" aperture, I´ll see, if I can get the .150" in twilight configuration for "Close Combat" work. ;-)

So no need to look for an expensive and scarce P H 6 hole Diopter insert ( which is, IMO, 1/2" or larger outside )

Hermann

P.S.: to be honest, I still don´t understand why the brass ring on the "Twilight" series should help on low light.
Certified gun nut
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 1:04pm
Hermann, I got a reply from a friend on milsurp's regarding the Australian rear sight that you showed us. This is from the expert.

The sight in question is a TYM, patent number 19,157/34, made by Samuel Tym, a grazier from Coonamble NSW, in 1934.

The sight was also made under licence as VEE KEE LEE, by Edwards and Motton and as the SURESHOT SPECIAL, by Evans and Balfour.

The example depicted is in original condition and as a collectible worth $300 to $400.

Hope this helps!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Arminius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 1:08pm
WOW!

I´m speechless!

I paid € 235 + S & H.

I am happy!

THANKS, Hermann
Certified gun nut
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 2:37pm
"I love it when a Plan comes together"!
John "Hannibal" Smith Col. USA (ret)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 1:53pm
Arminius:
you should post that over at GunBoards!
They have several very serious collectors there & not one of them has ever posted that sight!
Nor has the guy in New Zealand that has a very detailed Lee Enfield site!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic