Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First coyote with FMJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First coyote with FMJ
    Posted: January 23 2019 at 6:35am
Couldn't have worked out better! Buddy (uses a .22/250 with a scope the size of a Hubble) and me went out 'yote hunting yesterday. We sat about 50 yds apart in a cattle winter feed lot behind some straw bails. Set up a stick with a strip of white pillow case about 100 yds out. Started calling with a cheap wounded rabbit mouth call. Within 10 minutes, a nice ''yote came trotting in. He stopped at the flag. Once he turned broadside, I sent it. Right behind the front shoulder. Didn't even twitch. 174 PPU FMJ punched a pencil hole straight thru. Fellow just north takes animals as is and skin/stretches them for market. I got $70 for this one. Very happy with the results! All that practice at the range paid off!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 7:24am
Very good H-T!

I have had a FMJ nearly tear them in two at times!  Awful mess.  Depends if you hot something solid and bullet tumbles.
Used to skin and stretch them myself, but they're always as lousy as pet coons, as the saying goes.
I'd leave them hang outside a night, but when I went to skin them, some of those fleas would still come back to life!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 8:15am
When I used to skin them, we would through them in a green garbage bag, spray liberally with Raid, then seal up the bag with duct tape. Leave overnight. Seemed to work!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic