Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Try again? What period is this Oiler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Try again? What period is this Oiler?
    Posted: January 23 2019 at 6:09pm
British Broad Arrow on the top and W.H.B. Over a Broad Arrow then Crown over R5 over B. No dates. Any ideas?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 6:50pm
i lost all my data on the oilers a number of years ago , its a mid period i think but cannot be certain with what little i see , it would fit nicely in any mkIII* or early no4 , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 6:14am
Why trying again?
Did something happen to the original? I can see it fine!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ed42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 6:57am
Shamu, for some reason on this and my cleaning kit post, I can barely see any of the photo?????
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 9:21am
That's odd I see it fine?
What browser are you using?
(I'm on Firefox)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Ed42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 9:51am
my iPhone with Safari but it works elsewhere fine. The picture that you posted I think of your S marked rear sight on my thread about my No. 4 Mk. 1 showed up the same way but I just thought it was maybe an enlarging glitch! I really don’t use my desktop very much now. Just use iPhone!

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 1:05pm
It sounds like some kind of compatibility issue
Ed42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 1:47pm
Yeah, Ihave that problem sometimes!😉
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:52am
Does the oiler have a flat bottom and is able to be stood on end?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Ed42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 11:56am
Hi.  Thanks for the answers. Yes, it has a flat bottom and will stand on its own!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 1:43pm
I'm guessing WW1 through early WW2 manufacture.
From what I've read they were used & reused & replaced if they were lost or damaged so you could have the brass, the black Bakelite & the clear plastic all side by side.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 2:38pm
Flat bottom = Mk.IV oil bottle, 1906 - 1950

W.H.B = W.H. Briscoe & Co., Ltd., 51 Park Street, Birmingham.

They produced 
150,000 during the Great War (1914-1918).

The bottles are called oilers, which is actually a bit of a misnomer. Originally they were intended to carry petroleum jelly (Vaseline), hence the spoon inside the lid to scoop it out. 
Jelly for protecting the metalwork, Rangoon oil for lubricating the moving parts.

No doubt simple lubricating oil quickly became the stuff to use for both cleaning and lubricating.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 5:23pm
i have both a black and red bakelite version in my accumulation , i have not seen the clear c, anyone have one they can post a photo of ? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 7:35am
Here you go, sorry its not better!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 2:08pm
ok , thats cool - is one ive never seen before , obviously newer vintage than anything ive ever owned , it would be one i might add if i had occassion to get a newer rifle i think tho 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 8:08am
Can anybody identify this oiler?  Posted it once before without success. Perhaps one of our new members might know.

It is marked to BSA and apart from its length is exactly the same as a Mk.IV. Fits into a butt trap, but once there there is no room for the pull-through.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic