Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

homemade bore guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: homemade bore guide
    Posted: February 17 2019 at 10:47am
he!!o friends. Here are some photos of a bore guide I made for my Lee no.4  MK.1/2.
  I used an expended case and a piece of carbon tube material I had from the radio control airplane building scraps.
 Nice thing about the tube is that it is thin wall but strong. I used two part epoxy to mate the case with the rod. Just wanted to run it by you guys to see if you see any issues. Thanks, Donald.
You can lead a horse to water but a bullet must be lead...
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 10:50am
Sorry guys. I can't figure out how to delete a photo from my post. One extra photo got in there...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 12:55pm
Brilliant idea! I think I'll get some materials together and make something similar.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 2:26pm
Which image? I'll delete it for you.

The only things I'd do is shorten the case so you clean the chamber too & try to put some kind of "handle" that will lock it in place. Some kind of stub bonded to the Carbon fiber that will go into the bolt cutout when you rotate it. Then I'd cut open a "slot" on the rear end of the tube so you could use it as a solvent port as well.
Great job!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
NHBandit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHBandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 4:00am
Please excuse the newbie question but what is the purpose of this contraption ?

Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 6:54am
NH,

It protects the throat area of the barrel from wear caused by abrasion from the  cleaning rod.

Good job, Donald.  :-)

Made mine from old cases soldered together, the outer one has a short 'handle'  soldered on, and it holds it in place.  (Like Shamu suggests above.)
NHBandit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHBandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 9:42am
Makes perfect sense. Thank you
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 1:57pm
If you get one with a "solvent port" it also stop drips of bore cleaner from marring your finish. His is much nicer than mine though with those thin walls.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 2:55pm
PUKKA, any chance you could post a photo of yours? Just curious to see how you did it.  I am also thinking of making one for my SKS which does not handle an over the counter conventional bore guide.
 Thanks!
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 2:23pm
I just discovered the same problem with my "Universal" bore guide.  Glad to see the problem has been encountered and solved before.   Let me see what I may have lying around.  I am probably not as handy as you fellows, but if I can cobble something together I'll post a photo.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic