Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red stripes on Savage Lee-Enfield No.4 MKI*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red stripes on Savage Lee-Enfield No.4 MKI*
    Posted: March 10 2019 at 2:08pm
Howdy,
I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a Savage Lee-Enfield No.4 MKI* still in the cosmoline.
After cleaning it up I found it was a little rougher than I had expected, for example there is pitting on the magazine, mag well, and sling swivels.
Other than that most of the important areas were protected by the cosmoline.
The question I have is that there are two red paint stripes, one on the grip of the buttstock and one just forward of the rear barrel band, and I would like to know what these marks signify.
Also on the side of the buttstock there is B.R.B painted in yellowish paint and on the opposite side the same letters are painted in red paint, though it is so faded that I can just barely make out the characters.
I have been doing some research online but can't find anything concrete on their meaning.
I am asking this before I take it out back and fire it just in case the red stripes denote danger in using the rifle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 3:51am
Red generally means deemed not safe to fire for what ever reason the armorer determined.
The BRB painted mark.. idk
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 5:01am
Shilo:

What are you reffering to when you write: " The painted BRB mark...idk"

I have no idea what your trying to say..(excuse my ignorance on this.)

Yeoman: the red stripe on your rifle does indicate that it isn't safe to fire. Does it have a "D.P." marking or stamp anywhere?

Best to get it professionaly lokked at, before you go any further.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Yeoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 6:27am
Hey Shiloh,
I was afraid that that would be the case. Thanks for the speedy reply.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 6:32am
idk shorthand for I don't know

If you bought this for a wall hanger then that's what you have. Otherwise might want to think about returning it if possible.   

Later 42rocker
Yeoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 6:43am
Hey Hoadie,
Thanks for the speedy reply to my post. There is not a"D.P." marking or stamp that I can find and I've been over the rifle pretty thoroughly while cleaning the cosmoline off. I will definitely have it looked at before I go any further. I'll take it up to my local gunsmith and have him inspect it.

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 6:48am
Ya sorry about the IDK, so used to texting my daughters with the usual answer, idk. LOL
with reference to the BRB mark, I couldn`t find anything, could be an old unit marking?? some ones initials??, needs to be re-barrelled, just grasping at straws here.
Always something interesting with these old rifles.

And yes it`s unfortunate if you purchased this thinking it to be a shooter.
If from a retailer maybe see about a return, swap out, store credit, or something. I`m a strong believer in that one should try to purchase from a merchant who knows about such things, or really do your research before pulling the trigger.
These rifles were marked as such after an exhaustive armorers inspection, usually because it was beyond economical repair(B.E.R.) ie  worn out, weak, cracked, twisted, bent receiver.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Yeoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 6:52am
Hey there 42rocker,
it looks like it will have to be a wall hanger. Can't return it as I bought it at a gunshow from a private collection. I didn't pay a whole lot as there was no bolt in the gun so I might be able to sell it for its parts.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 9:45am
Is it full wood? Seems like lots of demand for that! I feel your pain. I traded a rifle for a No Mk4 Sporter that appeared to be nice. At the range, I couldn't hit anything. After discussing it hear, I bobbed a few inches of the barrel, recrowned, etc. Turned out to be a nice shooter!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 9:48am
The BRB is Beyond Repair something... Like shilo stated, Beyond Economic Repair.  The B.E.R. Z being the worst of them. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 9:57am
His rifle did not come with a bolt and it was packed in cosmoline.  Along with the red stripes painted on the wood and the BRB usually denotes that it was deactivated at the armory. Bobbing a few inches off the end of the barrel would be the least of his concerns.  
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 11:21am
Agreed that if it's got red paint on it; it's a bad sign. However what I don't get is why it was covered in cosmoline! If it was worn out, why would it not be scraped or broken for spares. Is it possible someone covered it in cosmoline to sell it on and hide the truth?

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 1:03pm
That is my thinking Zed. I found one in a similar condition awhile back. The store owner said that is was a straight shooter with no issues. It was cord wrapped as well.  When I looked into the chamber I noticed that there appeared to be a partial screw threaded into the chamber from the bottom going up into the top of the chamber. The firing pin tip was removed too. I asked about the screw and the store owner said it was residual cosmoline from when he unpacked it. I asked how he knew it was a straight shooter then being that there is residual cosmoline in the chamber that resembles a screw that is definitely threaded into the chamber and there is no way he could have fired it. I was asked to leave the store.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 1:09pm
Goosic. You may have miss interpreted my comment. My meaning was at first glance the No4 I purchased appeared in nice shape. At the range told otherwise. In the case of this rifle, it could be saved. The gentleman in the above, I thought maybe the wood might be sellable to help recoup some of his loss. Never ever said he should Bob it and shoot it. Sorry if my post was misleading. 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 1:19pm
Well, the firearms biz in alot of cases still seems to be like the "wild west".
seems theres no laws saying you can't sell them..no matter how bad they are.

Brings back the memory of Rhino's no5 barrel. Showed up & its a "swayback" (read: RIP-OFF).

So its a good thing that eric put this site up, so we can all be saved from "questionable" acquisitions. Theres saftey in numbers...& the collective brain bank here is DEFINATLEY a bonus!!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 1:21pm
...unless we're dealing with folks from North Carolina
(ZZZZIIIINNNNGGG!! Gotcha! )

((now i'll wait for the inevitable comeback) [<:o)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic