Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 MkIII Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 11:14am
I am always impressed by your collection of rifles Terry Lee. Thanks for sharing!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 1:54pm
terry lee awesome collection of sniper stuff , as a descendant of an ANZAC the first rifle with the Galilean sight is what many of them used at ANZAC cove as well as the periscope firing mechanism they invented to deal with the Turks 2 shaving mirrors and some 2x4s a piece of string and you could kill them from the safety of the trench, it was a horrible experience for them all but with Anzac Day coming up I remember all those diggers who fought for our freedom .there is a awesome gallery at the Australian war memorial that shows the snipers from all countries.i go there every time I go home you always find something you never saw before 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 2:47pm
Something I just learned recently..apparently, they sent a contingent of Canucks into Gallipoli as well. (Nothing near the scale of the ANZACS of course.
Loose wimmen tightened here
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 3:09pm
goalie there was Indians / Pakistanis etc etc etc , but Australia’s most famous sniper was a Chinese Australian called billy sing .150 confirmed kills with lattey sights . When I was in the army we had a guy from the 1st light horse stay at the hospital I was based in what an experience he was the funniest bloke I ever met and his wife said to me when he gets the bloody uniform on he thinks he is still 18
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 3:11pm
1000 Royal Newfoundland Regiment fought along side our brothers from ANZAC in Gallipoli. 40 of these brave Candians died there. A far cry from the sacfrifice our ANZAC brothers endured. But enough to create a never-ending kinship with our mates from Australia and New Zealand.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 3:33pm
I wonder what the price of one of those Galilean sights is nowadays!
The Gibbs is of course fascinating to me but I'm sure I'd have to sell a body part or two to get it!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 3:58pm
For those who are interested in the Martin Galilean Sight:

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 6:27pm
WOW!! It never ceases to amaze me...speak of the rarest Enfield equipment, & one of us always seems to have it in their collection! VERY nice!
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 6:28pm
i do love the posts that show s much of what we seldom see terry lee , your expertise is much enjoyed , 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 7:14pm
Terry what’s the rifle?
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 3:23am
Homer, the Martin sight is mounted on a BSA SMLE Mk.III dated 1908. The sight was not originally attached to this rifle, but I felt that an early Mk.III would match the use of the Galilean sight in 1915.   
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 3:36am
You do have one spectacular collection, terry. Amazing rifles and thanks for posting up the detail pictures of the Galilean sight.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 11:36am
Is the rear sight an adaption of the early No9 BSA target sight?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 12:45pm
It looks like an early Parker (A.J. Parker) No9g with the volley rear sight still as a part & the long windage arm?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 1:22pm
Zed/Shamu,  Since I have never made a study of the early target sights, I am not the best person to answer the question raised. Concerning the rear sight used with the Martin, I can only quote Skennerton: 

"The rear sight takes the form of a BSA aperture sight as used in competition rifle club shooting with the addition of a lens fitted into the sighting aperture"   
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 2:12pm
That would make sense, the aperture is a separate screw-in part, so assembly would be really simple, unscrew one & screw in the other.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic