Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Barrel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuttCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Barrel?
    Posted: April 14 2019 at 3:47am
Sooooooo...the chamber of my No.1 Mk3 is kaput.  I've been poking around Ebay, Numrich, and Gunbroker, et al, searching for a barrel.  Not much to say about results.

Can anybody recommmend a source?  I did see a site down under that advertised new barrels, but I can only imagine the money involved, even if it could be had.
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 12:13pm
hi when you say the chamber is no good is the barrel okay i had a smle years ago and it was a case stuffer i stewed on it for weeks and i cut one thread off the barrel and put it back on .
i did not have to use a reamer and my cases lasted after that
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 2:19pm
MuttCat. I get all my No1Mk111 barrels from Numrich.  Never have had an issue with one.
MuttCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuttCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 2:35am
I'm no gunsmith, but the guy I took it to was a gunsmith.  He went over the rifle, fired it, saved the brass, and his determination was that the barrel in total would need to be replaced if I wanted to bring the rifle up to what I wanted.  I guess one concern would be buying a barrel sight unseen and winding up with something that doesn't get the job done.  From what I've seen on the Numrich site, they don't provide specs on the barrels they list.  Maybe I should call them.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 2:52pm
Is the gunsmith someone who is competent with the Lee Enfield rifles? The chamber of the Lee Enfield rifle is quite a bit different then other over the counter rifles. The cases do expand to meet the chamber walls and a spent case looks rather odd to those not familiar with the Enfield.  Unless an actual chamber mold was made to check for any internal damage he might have prejudged the condition of your barrel. As far as Numrich goes.  They typically select barrels that are in very usable condition and will not sell you a junk one unless it apecifically described as a deactivated barrel. If you were to show us a picture of your chamber area and a few spent cases,we here can better assist you with your issue you may or may not have. Alot of us here are very knowledgeable about such issues and could possibly save you some time any money...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 3:10pm
^^^
THIS.
With some information we can be way more help! We'll gladly volunteer to be the brains but we need hands on, on site, to do it well.
Can you post pictures of the fired brass?

What IS your headspace?
<0.064"?
0.064"?
0.067"?
0.074"?
0.080"?
> 0.080"?

It sounds to me like you MAY, just MAY have an excessive headspace issue from tjhe description of the primers backing out, now the .303 case is tapered, essentially a shallow cone. What happens to a cone if you slide it towards the base more & then reshape it? Yup It expands laterally to fill the bigger space.

Might THAT be the problem?

Is the expansion not even around the circumference?

Is there a "fat" side & a "Thin" side?

Does it show up about 1/4" in front of the case rim?

Does it in fact look like this:

If so, unless its excessive its "Perfectly normal" for an Enfield!

Please understand we're trying to help, we wont let you "blow your fool face off"! But the L-E is a design from the 1890's & its rimmed, not rimless, so it behaves differently!

If posting images here is a technical problem just e-mail the images to me & I'll gladly post them for you. But without more exact & detailed information we're just thrashing about in the dark!

If it helps I've never heard of "Bellie" in a chamber & I can't even think how you'd "create some kind of balloon" on part of the inside of a chamber! If someone did something that physically caused a chamber to "blow out on one side" creating a "permanent bellie", the steel would rupture blowing a chunk out of the chamber & destroying the rifle!

Please get us pictures of your fired brass. Off center & expanded cases, although scary-looking are perfectly normal for the L-E rifles, it a question of HOW blown out they are.
If it helps mail me a few fired cases & I'll do the same back so we can both see whats "safe" & what isn't.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 4:25pm
....Wink....

All good advice.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2019 at 4:30pm
Remember my bent case issue Shamu. Look at the case expansion MuttCat. This perfectly acceptable. A gunsmith not well versed with the Enfield will say that your rifle is not safe to fire if he had seen this of your rifle...
MuttCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuttCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 4:38am
The smith seemed knowledgeable about LEs...said he had several himself.  I have the cases and will get pictures up.  Thanks everybody for your help.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 10:00am
Looking forward to the pictures. 
I too had a gunsmith who seemed knowledgeable with the Lee Enfield and he himself also stated that he had several of them as well. All the ones he had were deactivated and he would sell me one as a wall hanger for 75.00 bucks. As in was paying him I asked what makes them deactivated.  Were the barrels welded up? Nope. He showed me a tiny hole on the left side of the receiver in the exact same spot the gas check hole is at.  I still own that 75 dollar special and it is as accurate as it was the day I bought it.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 1:51pm
BWHAHAHaHahaha! Knowledge IS power!
Hug
That's why I love the big city gun shows round here. They are ALL "Eggspurts" in everything.
I bought a Hensoldt Ferro ZF24, brand new in the original wrapping for $100.oo. The dealer KNEW the case was for a German Gas Mask" & "Wouldn't take one penny less"

Then there was the time I literally ran out of the building yelling at the Mrs to "start the car, we're leaving before this guy wakes up." Clutching this:

Paid $200 for it because it was "broke, doesn't even light up, no parts sold as is". I guess he didn't know about night vision & the auto eyepiece shutter?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 3:27pm
He made me sign a statement that I would not fire it or hold him liable if I did and ended up seriously injured or killed.  I took the rifle home and stripped it down to the barrelled receiver.  Nothing to indicate it was deactivated.  The furniture did not have the  DP paint job either. My dad locked the receiver into our bench vise,put a round in the chamber,stuck a broomstick into the trigger guard and smacked the trigger. The bullet came out accordingly and struck a box of junk truck tire innertubes. My dad still owns that No4Mk1 Fazackerly made rifle.  
MuttCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuttCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 4:11am
Testing testing picture post

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 6:47am
I just get a line of type, no pic.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 7:32pm
hmmmm , ive wanted one of those as well as the rifle it goes on , but then ive wanted a mkVI and a HAK and ive got none of them after all these years of searching , 
MuttCat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuttCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 3:03am
Posting pics seems a bit finicky....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic