Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oi! Zed, mate. (when you get back & unpack)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oi! Zed, mate. (when you get back & unpack)
    Posted: May 01 2019 at 2:13pm
Been doing a bit of research on the "Care & Feeding" of the 1907 sling, since I ordered one for my WW! "Sniper ShtLE".
Big smile

Most of the video posters seem a bit lost then I found this guy.
He answered 4 minor questions, give it a gander.
Not implying you're old or nowt!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 6:05pm
Tough to beat the M1907 sling.   I’ve been very pleased with the Turner Saddlery Biothane 1907 sling.  A bit more expensive than the leather sling but well worth it.  Does not slip, does not stretch, extremely strong.  I have one on the M1 and No. 4.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 7:46am
Personally I like the ChingSling, check it out.
It wouldn't be "Right" for a 1914 type rifle though.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 10:04am
The attachments for prone shooting are similar to the Parker Hale sling on the No. 4 (also the (T) web sling) which is to the swivel added to the trigger guard main screw the and middle band swivel.  I've got one of the parker hale 2 inch wide leather slings, and it is very easy/quick to get into just as this video shows.  Unfortunately, not allowed in CMP VMR matches.  The down side of that sling was it relied on a single buckle prong that tended to pull thru the leather holes.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 11:23am
Daft rigging question.
Mine has finally arrived after a postal saga! I've found 2 (both 100% “Offficial”) ways of installing it.

Method "A": has the hooks on the OUTSIDE of the assembled & attached sling with the hooks facing INWARDS. One keeper is close to the “D” ring clamping the loop round the forearm when worn, the other is further up the loop.

Method “B”: has the keepers together both clamping the loop round the forearm & the sling is essentially the reverse of method “A” with the hooks both on the INSIDE next to the stock facing out. (The same as Clint Smith has in the earlier video.)

Video here of the "other" installation mrthod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTLY3062Qo

Which is correct?

Second question. Can someone with an M1 Garrand please measure from the front to the rear sling swivels?

I'm using it on a SMLE No1 MkIII & it think the spacing may be different at 29", because I have to use almost the last hole on the long strap to get a loop to form the right length when worn.

Third question: My sling came with the holes unnumbered, which is No1 the end or the middle of the long strap?

T.I.A as always.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 4:38pm
Shamu, the sing rigging I use is shown below.  To shoot prone, simply unhook the lower frog hooks and pull the lower section down and form a small loop around the rear swivel.  Arm goes thru the upper loop with a half turn of the sling and pull both keepers down to close the loop on your upper arm.  

Inside length between the rear and mid swivel on the M1 measures 25.5 inches.  No. 4 measures 26.5 inches.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 4:51pm
Thanks!
That makes perfect sense.My No1 is about 2" in front of the one on the no4! Added together thats about the 4 1/2" difference in the sling holes for a good fit!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 4:59pm
The method shown in the video does keep the loop from opening up around your arm and loosing some sling tension.  With the biothane sling, I don’t have this problem, so I don’t have to mess with pulling the upper loop such that the upper frog is down to my arm.  

It’s amazing how many different ways people will sling up.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Thanks!
That makes perfect sense.My No1 is about 2" in front of the one on the no4! Added together thats about the 4 1/2" difference in the sling holes for a good fit!

The upper frog hole position is what sets the sling tension.  The biothane sling comes in two lengths, I’m not sure about the leather slings.  I think I’ve got the long slings, but not positive on that!   I set mine at hole #5 on the No. 4 with a shooting coat and thick sweatshirt and #6 hole without a sweatshirt.  Hole number should be counted from the near end of the upper sling loop, pointed rearward in the photo of my M1 and No. 4.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 6:06pm
Me neither! I asked the seller.
Great Thanks!
That means I'm using 1 or 2.
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 6:50am
Thank You for sharing this info. 

Later 42rocker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 6:59am
From my vendor:
"both 1/3 and No. 4 Mark I rifles were issued in Canada using M1907's with 46-49" long section and 2-26" short ( D ring ) section. "

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 3:01pm
One thing I do different with the No. 4 rifle is that I’m not able to bring my support hand all the way forward to the middle band swivel as I do with the M1.  The middle band swivel on the No. 4 is too far forward.  

Shooting the M1, the middle band swivel acts as a hand stop for my left support hand and maintains a consistent position on the stock and it’s held firmly by the sling which is an advantage during the rapid fire stages.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 7:23am
Yeah its even harder with the SMLE! you need arms like a Wookie to even try it.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 11:13am
I can't believe I missed this post when I got back from vacation! (3 weeks ago) Thank's Shamu. The video was useful.
I had been looking at a couple of other video's on the net; prior to shooting our regional finals 2 weeks ago. 
I have the Turner leather sling on the No1MkIII*; and it's on the last hole; which was a surprise. I had expected it to be longer. The Biothane sling is on the No4Mk1. I had one minor practice session before the competition; when I was not using them correctly and the session was rained out. The target got washed off the support.
So I worked out how to rig them properly and tried it out with some dry firing to get the adjustment.

With the No4 rifle I improved my score by 13 point's over my qualifying score. It's only the second competition with this rifle. So I was happy with that; as I am not convinced it's fully zeroed yet, but it's close.
With the No1 rifle I did not do so well; dropped a few compared to my qualifying round; but first proper time out with this sling. I think they will help produce a more consistent shooting position.

I may try the leather sling on the L39, and get a longer one for the No1 rifle.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 11:44am
I'm on hole 2 with the No1 MkIII!
Its still a little tight to bring the off arm back to where I like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic