Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sleeping with the enemy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sleeping with the enemy
    Posted: April 16 2007 at 12:57pm
Gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I use the term loosely ) After 40 + Years of ,Busting a Gut & supporting the Gov with licence Fees & Taxes ! I've Retired from Shooting !!!!Shocked Yep I've started a Job working for a Boss !
       Yep! My travel is Paid for ! My Food is supplied ! (& cooked for me ) I have a Room with a TV (cable channels ) ensuite, & when I get home from what I can't really call work my bed is made ! I'm out of the Weather & work 4 days on & have 4 days off (rotating shift  days & then nights ) I'm being paid a obsene amount of money per fortnight ! (for what I'm used to doing is bugger all so far as manual labour ) ! I get to port Augusta get on a Company supplied Bus which takes me to Camp (& brings me back at the end of my shift !) I get to drive a Brand new Nisian Navara 4X4 ! I'm in charge of 8 blokes on a rotateing shift (due to my experiance in running a small biz !
          Yep I'm up at Roxby Downs /Olympic Dam .......As the Supervisor of the Security Detail of  BHP's minning Lease ! Started last Thursday !!!!! It's a Blast ! I walked into the Mess for my first meal up there & 5 blokes stood up & bowed yelling ....We are not worthy!!!!LOL Their all Ex Roo shooters who I taught but now work in the mines for the obsene  amounts of money  Like me!

No more $1000 dollars per year Licence fee ! No more $00.42 in the dollar Tax ! No more 3000 dollars per month fuel bill ,$6000 per month Public & live stock ,property Damage insurance !

Now I'm going to get for the first time since I left the Army . Holiday Pay ,Workers Comp ,Sick  pay  & ......Super Annuation!!!!
             I was asked to take this Job as the employees (Guards ) are idiots & need a man of my careing ,kind & Understanding Nature to help them realise,that they either start preforming or choose a differant career ! Plus my local knowlage of the country is a great asset!
           The down side is ........I have to answer to a boss ! Wear a uniform & Tie ! Plus the Fact I have never worked in the security industry before ! (Hey my military back ground is comming in handy here ! )
     Tracey is over the moon ,with the thought of a steady income comming into the house (lOTS OF MONEY ) .

Dave
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 4:46pm
Let me be the first to say dave, congratulations!

Sounds like you have a nice little scam going there!

I can just see you now driving round in a pith helmet, safari suit with tie and thongs, with a Enfield in the rack in case any greenies get too close.

I hope to go out to the mines one day when I finish my sparkies trade.
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:06pm
good on ya dave mate..congrats all the way.
so ya took it on eh? like we said before, when ya weigh up what you get at the end of the week,air con..suit and tie?? Clap dave? in a tie?!!! Star plus holidays sickies etc..its a bloody good gig. now it wont be long mate, youll be able to go out for a shoot on your time off and enjoy it !!!

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:21pm
Cheers Fellas ! I'm a little down tonight as for all the Perks of this retirement change of Careers . A Bloke came & picked up my Faithfull Old toyota today ! I got a Damned good price for the Old Girl . It was still as if a piece of me was removed ! My licence was due next month & it was going to be a Grand to renew it ! This job was offered to me several weeks ago & I spent a lot of time mulling over the Pros & Cons . It was a case of I'm not getting any younger & a life time of injuries are starting to take their toll of a winter ! Added to the fact ,my out lays were more than the returns of the job !
       As much as I hate to admit it the Days of the Pro Shooter are really comming to a end ! It's a job that will always be there but not one that will ever see the Golden days of the Industry ! When there were Rabbit Shooters ,Fox shooters ,Cullers & trappers ,Roo shooters ,Pet food shooters . I'm looking forward to shooting for the hell of it & not having to worry about every shot costing me money & in true Dave fashion ,I've found one of my Guards has 2 #4 Enfields that were reburnished for Range work (Full Bore ) & has no idea of their Value & wants to sell them as well as a 94 winchester in 44-40 & (god I love this ).......Asked me what their worth? Now being the genorours sort of Cove I am Wink I've offered him $500.00 for the 3 !!!!!! I'm waiting till I go back up Sunday to see what he says!!!

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:50pm
I want one of those #4''s dave!

So you get to keep the navara when you are off work do you? I hope that old tojo goes to a good home mate.

Who knows about the future of the pro shooter in Australia. Fur has started to come back into fashion and designers have been telling greenies to bugger off.

I wouldn't mind getting a CZ527 in 17rem or 17 fireball / Mach IV, and help pay for it (or at least some of my booze and fuel from the hunt) by selling the odd fox skin.

Might have to move to Victoria to do do that because they don't have a bounty on the things here in NSW.

On the random side, I saw my first wild rabbit (well not on a bus to a "holiday" at RAAF Wagga) the other night hopping across one of the parks on the beach front and into the scrub at the top of the sand dunes at the beach. I chased the thing, didn't get close because my ankle is still rooted from when I twisted it two weeks ago.

And I might take my fearless gun dog (afraid of loud noises like gun fire) and the slug gun with a torch taped to it one night and try and get the thing.

Around Mossman the council there has hired a shooter to thin out the bunnies, because they are running wild in the golf courses and parks, escaped pets they are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 8:47pm
If your serious about one of those #4s I'll put it aside for you & work out a price ! A Fair one at that (breaks my heart saying that ! I must be getting Old )  These had the Trigger Guard modified & Im not sure whether his still got the Target Peeps on em !
         Personally I'd be looking at a Hornet for Foxes & for Rabbits in settled areas ..........(wisphers ) use LONG Zeds  their very Quiet in a .22lr .

The Nissan Stays on site ! But I get a Bus that leaves from a compound in Port Augusta & drops me off in the Camp I stay in (4 star accomidation & food ) all free of charge . I work a 12 hr shift & get close to $1800 per fortnight  (8 days work ) one block I work days & the next I work nights ! The 1800 is after Tax !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ShockedShocked I just wish I'd found this 20 yrs ago ! Some of me Mates who are driving Dumpies & loaders under Ground are on close to 100k per year!!! The part that hurts is I laughed at them,when they gave up shootingCry The Good thing is though  ,even though I tecnicly work for a Boss I'm the Boss of my Detail of Guards ! Mind you I still have a lot to learn but  BHP are happy with my first 4 days on the Job .The Blokes who have really impressed me are what are called
 ESO's  these are the Blokes I report to & they've been really help full !

Dave
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 7:11am
Well Congrats on the new Job Dave!!! nice to see a buddie doing well for him and his.
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 10:23am
oh, please, Dave, a picture of you in uniform!!  For when we need a smile in our hard lives... Congratulations! It sounds like a great opportunity. Do you have to give up any of your rifles when you lose the hunters license?

Ed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 2:10pm
Although I'm not renewing my Roo hunting permit ,My company is still registered & there fore I still hold my C & D classes . I'm selling my .223's & my Swift ,as I really dont' need them any more & have other rifles that will do their jobs nicely ! I'll probarly put my Valmet on the market as well as I have no need (& have'nt for a number of years ) I intend to spend more time experimenting with different loads & getting myself a Chronograph ! As well as desecrating the Crow population round here !!!

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 4:37pm
The swift would do a good job on the crows though wouldn't it dave?

I wish I could get my hands on a valmet even just for a yippie shoot! What is it? A .308 semi-auto?

So how many shootin' irons are you going to keep?

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:55am
Good on ya, Davey!! (I guess) Well, welcome to Dizz's farm.Hope U enjoy workin for the man.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:25am
Hey Hoadie, workin for da man ain't all bad! You immediately become a member of the I.B.W.B.W.W.  You are a respected member of society, sought after by women, and best of all, no additional dues!

Ed
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 5:06am
Well mate its worked out for the best. The chat we had on line and on the phone was the best thing since sliced bread.  You had your doubts but they were unfounded.  No more scary antics in the outback and the Boss is over the moon you're home in 1 piece after your shifts. Stick at it mate you did the right thing and I'm pleased for you and Tracy its all gone according to plan. Thumbs%20Up
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 6:53am
Ummm...is there a pension @ the end of the road here?
Hoadie
allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 8:17am
superannuation is our pension hoadie, by the time i retire the government wont have social pension..in other words, if ya have bugger all super..youll be workin till ya 90!
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 11:22am
Originally posted by allan allan wrote:

superannuation is our pension hoadie, by the time i retire the government wont have social pension..in other words, if ya have bugger all super..youll be workin till ya 90!

Allan- gimme a note on reg. E-mail & let me know how this "superannuation" works, mate
Hoadie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic