Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

odd property mark on Mo4 Mk1*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: odd property mark on Mo4 Mk1*
    Posted: May 13 2019 at 6:46am
Anybody recognize this stamp (over the chamber)?
Its on a '43 Savage No4 Mk1*

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 8:41am
My only comment just by the configuration of it.  Looks like a German stamp I saw on a K98 once...
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 8:53am
It does look like the offspring of a Waffenamp and a Broad arrow.  If it is a property mark I am surprised they did not remove or deface the U.S. Property mark.  I have seen that removed occasionally when a country got them from the UK
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 6:45pm
i think it to be a german police mark after the war - but i have not found a reference to provide for that thinking yet , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 6:40am
Thanks guys.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 8:47am
Here is a Walther PP that has the German Police marking. I agree the marking on this rifle does bear a resemblence.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 8:51am
Yes it does!
searching elsewhere as well if I find out anything definitive I'll let you all know.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 9:28am
Look at it from the angle the picture is taken from and you might see a spearhead, complete with the wraps around the shank. A RCMP stamp?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 11:08am
I totally see the spearhead in the first picture. I looked up the waffen thing and in my opinion, that's not it. The latest post looks more like it.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 11:56am
If it was an RCMP issued #4, the left side of the action wall would have an MP stamped into it denoting Mounted Police. I've seen a few of those rifles in the past. They were all Long Branch made rifles though.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 1:11pm
No MP stamp, sorry.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 4:04pm
Someone else solved it (I think) over at Gunboards.
Its a late Canadian property mark (a stylized Maple Leaf) thats been "lined out" with some kind of "3 parallel line" stamp, or maybe a 3 toed paw print of some kind.
Its been struck 3 times, once in the center then on the edges to obliterate the 3 points of the Marple Leaf.
We have us a "palimpsest" a series of over strikes that look like something else when viewed as a whole, like the "Egyptian helicopter, launch & submarine" hieroglyph!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Hieroglif_z_Abydos.jpg
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 5:06pm
German  Me 262?
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 6:30pm
Ancient aliens!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 6:40am
https://i.imgflip.com/1hvwcs.jpg
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 6:47am
Just out of curiosity, how late was the stylized maple leaf used as a property mark? I've only ever seen the C with broad arrow so didn't know there was another type.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic