Savage No4 mk1*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage No4 mk1*
    Posted: June 17 2019 at 4:15am
Shiloh, I'm not on any of the Kawa forum's at the moment. I used to be on the Z1 forum for a while when I had my Moto Martin framed Z1. That was a nice bike. I ported the head and fitted Yoshimura cams and 29mm smoothbore carbs. The original Moto Martin 4:1 race pipe needed a chicane adding for road use; it wasvery short, the pipe ended level with the heel of my boot.
Never got into the 2 strokes; but they are certainly quick when properly sorted.

As for the Enfield; I'm sure you'll find it easier to aim with the sight protector fitted. It helps centre the whole front sight assembly to get an easily repeatable visuel.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

If I were to replace the L battle sight to a ladder type, which type would be correct/appropriate to the savage m1*, if at all.
I really don`t like the 300/600 L`s

Shilo. 
This is on ePay right now.  A Savage issued Mk1 Singer Micrometer rear sight with the square S  stamped on it...

Got it for 56 pounds, decent ok price for a Savage made sight, compared to others out there.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 3:44pm
Very nice results!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 12:55pm
With the blessing of my go to smithy, I ventured out to the range in the rain to fire the Savage for the first time by me, .
Took 5 rnds of Win 180gr soft point and 5 rnds of my home rolled ppu brass imr3031 topped with 150grn Hornady sp interlock, both basic hunting rnds.

1st pic shows the 180 grn, using a spotter to zero in on the target, 1st, warming rnd,  2nd, 1st POA adjustment, 3rd, 2nd POA adjustment, 4th and 5th shots same POA as 3rd.
Last 3 shots shows a 2.5" spread at 109yrds

2nd pic, with the 150grn home rolled, same established POA as previous at 109yrds, 5 rnd in 1 minute just to see how it shoots.
2.5" out to 3.5" with the flyer.
I found it a little tough to focus with out the front sight protector on the rifle, its still in the mail.
All in all I think this rifle has some potential.

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 7:06am
Just got back from the smithy, he said it was totally safe to shoot as is.
He noted that this was the forward bolt head guide that keeps it from rotating up when feeding rounds.
Most often broken by single hand feeding rounds or by persons plying on the bolts head. He explained that by single feeding the bolt can some times rotate in the slot slightly and when jamming it forwards catches the leading edge of the guide damaging it.
I`ll take his word for soundness, he`s been fixing Enfields longer than I`ve been alive, it`ll be a sad day when he lives this world, not many like him around any more.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Nice KH Kawa' Shiloh. What capacity is that?
I have a Z1 in my shed, but it needs renovating.

Good eye, are you by chance on any of the kawi triple sites?
That bike is actually a P4 class race bike I built a few yrs ago, street legal of course..., It is a 1974 H1 hopped up engine stuffed into a highly modified 1974 S3 frame, 1998 cbr600R front end, 1985 vfr400r rear end, custom built seat with oil tank in the tail, early Yamaha sculpted Seca tank (holds more fuel)
and Denco pro race tuned chambers.
Scary fast with plenty of get up and go straight through 10500rpm

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:37am
It is totally fixable. A competent smithy should be able to weld it up then shape it to original configuration.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Sorry. I see what you are referring to now. I do not  recommend that you attempt to fire the rifle yet until someone can offer a solution to this problem. I have seen a repair done where the broken off piece was welded and then filed down to working order however, if that helps at all...

Yes the edge where its broke off is jagged and caught my cleaning rag, that`s how I noticed it!
I`ll take it to my gun smithy and see what he can do for it.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 10:25am
Nice KH Kawa' Shiloh. What capacity is that?
I have a Z1 in my shed, but it needs renovating.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 8:21am
Sorry. I see what you are referring to now. I do not  recommend that you attempt to fire the rifle yet until someone can offer a solution to this problem. I have seen a repair done where the broken off piece was welded and then filed down to working order however, if that helps at all...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 7:48am
Here is the slot in my 1943 No4Mk1* Savage along with a picture of the whole rifle for your looking pleasures...Big smile
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 7:24am
That wood looks beautiful on that rifle. Happy to see it has a new home. The bolt slot pictured is as it should be. No worries there. I will post pics of both my Savage and Long Branch to show you they are identical to yours.
Keep up the excellent work shiloh.
My No4Mk1* Long Branch has the same identical cut in the raceway Shiloh and is very safe to shoot.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 5:25am
Here a couple pics, wood work finished and fitted to receiver, the other is of the bolt head slot thingy, half of it appears to be broken off, just noticed this this morning.
If this is what secures the bolt in position while in the locked down position, I don`t think this poor old rifle will be safe to shoot, opinions pls

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 11:31pm
My '44 Maltby came with the slide type rear sight. but for target shooting it's not great; as the adjustment between each indent is big. I swapped it for the Singer sight to use in competition; but will keep it for the collection value.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 7:04pm
nothing wrong with a great sight on a working rifle - my comment was intended for the collector , you all enjoy those enfields - they aint makin them anymore and we are not gettin any younger , they need to be used 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 2:49pm
Lots of the later type, but I'll probably but a micro metre type, I like them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic