Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S and K mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S and K mounts
    Posted: June 16 2019 at 6:21am
I have several Addley Precision mounts and love them, but they sit high enough you need a cheek piece to shoot comfortably. That being said, several members have S and K mounts. My question is, if I mount one on a No5, and use low rings, would my eye line up comfortably without a cheek piece? Thanks!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 7:01am
I had a smithless mount on my no5 with midium rings to clear the bolt handle, it worked pretty good, a half inch rise on the butt comb would have made it perfect.
But be aware, make sure you use a scope with lots of eye relief, as the no5 has plenty of kick.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 7:25am
Good advice! I suspect most Lee Enfield owners at one time have put a scope on a rifle with no cheek piece... and have an eyebrow scar to prove it!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 7:27am
Wink
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 8:08am
I was taught to not "stock climb" so I wouldn't have to break the weld when cycling the bolt. Because of that I've never gotten whacked by the scope!
Its a doubly useful technique!
Try this:
FULLY open the bolt & then mount the rifle while still holding the bolt handle in the open position. If you hit anything you're stock climbing!
Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 8:27am
I'll have to try that just to see it I do. I shoot my No5 without a scope. Weird thing for me when I shoot an Enfield with factory sites. With the battle site, I am consistently low at 100 yds. I do have a fairly big melon and suspect my aim point because of where my cheek welds to the stock causes this. Anybody else have this?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 8:59am
I got the S&K with the S&K style rings, not the Weaver Rail because its as low as you can possibly mount a scope with a big(ish) eyepiece & not bash your thumb knuckle when cycling the bolt. The practical limit is the front bell & rear bells because you have almost no clearance if you go any lower. The bottom of my turret saddle is a dollar bill clearance to the rail! If a handguard were fitted I'd have about the same there as well.

You'd have to use a chin weld if you didn't rise the comb a little.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2019 at 2:37pm
On the Swedish Mauser sniper rifles there was no riser available, pictures I`ve seen of the shooters, they used a sort of chin and thumb support weld while shooting.
I haven`t tried this yet??, but I find using a low cheek to chin weld is working pretty good so far.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I was taught to not "stock climb" so I wouldn't have to break the weld when cycling the bolt. Because of that I've never gotten whacked by the scope!
Its a doubly useful technique!
Try this:
FULLY open the bolt & then mount the rifle while still holding the bolt handle in the open position. If you hit anything you're stock climbing!
Ouch

Interesting how differently I was taught.  For speedy rapid fire, yes, this would be an advantage as you don’t have to move your head off the stock.  

A “turkey neck” was how I was taught to shoot in prone, extend your head as far forward as possible, rest your cheekbone on your right thumb that wraps around the stock.  Right eye about one inch from the aperture sight.  This works very effectively for the PH 5c rear sight and you can dial it down to a small diameter and still have a good field of view and good sight picture.  I’ve never been hit with the sight in the eye.  That’s also how my Dad taught me.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:49am
They are nice & I use one on My No5.
I don't think they can claim "best" though.
I have an original Fultons (that the S&K was copied from.) & it has a better (longer) rail. Mine is the old Weaver type, but now they have the Picatinny rail as well.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:08pm
My LB has a Fultons Weaver based scope mount. With the 6-24×50 using low profile Vortex rings in conjunction with the Fajen buttstock, line of sight and eye relief is damn near perfect. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 2:38pm
I must have a very odd shooting position.  In prone, that scope would be in my eye, before I shoot!  As I said in my old post, my right cheek bone is resting on my right thumb which wraps around the “pistol grip”, just behind the bolt handle.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 3:17pm
These guys, the originals at Bisley in the U.K.
Prices here will vary with exchange rates so its best to contact them for price & availability.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I must have a very odd shooting position.  In prone, that scope would be in my eye, before I shoot!  As I said in my old post, my right cheek bone is resting on my right thumb which wraps around the “pistol grip”, just behind the bolt handle.  

I think you do have a pronounced forward placement. My cheek rests on the cheek-piece & the bolt, even fully withdrawn never touches my face!
I do shoot with a very upright posture, which helps that.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Explosive Explosive wrote:

Who sells the Fulton mounts and what do they cost ?

The old S&K's are excellent, but the newer S&K version with their windage adjustable rings are even better. AFAIK nobody else offers that feature on a non gunsmithing mount.
Why anyone would want to put a big high power modern scope on a Lee Enfield is a mystery to me.
The top rifle is your average run of the mill No4Mk1* T rifle with a No32MkI 3.5 power scope. Good for showing off at the range. The second rifle down is a very sporterized No4 Enfield with a Nikko Stirling 4-12×50 AO IR MD on a Parker Hale scope mount.Good for shooting antelope,elk,and deer from fairly decent distances.  The third rifle down is a No4Mk1/2 converted to fire the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. The extremely high powered scope on this rifle is solely on it for extreme long range target shooting. 
The forth and last rifle down is a No4Mk1* Long Branch that is an all out target rifle and capable of sub MOA groups out to 200 plus yards with the big high powered modern scope.
Hope this clears up the mystery for ya Explosive...

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Explosive Explosive wrote:

It's still a mystery.  The only rifle in your pic I would be happy to be seen with is the No4 T.  I honestly don't think any of those could outshoot my old Savage Mk 1 * with a 4x scope.

I'm not against big scopes, I have a rifle with a  high power scope,  it's just not a Lee Enfield.
Sorry this got off topic to the OP.
Explosive.  The ten shot group was done at 200 yards with the Long Branch. The black diamond is one inch square.  The second pic was done at 100 yards and one shot only. You have been PM'd...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic