Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Canada Day!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 3:09am
Your right..Guiness Stateside is nothing like it's intended to be. And, I have yet to see a bartender Stateside pour a Guiness properly.(Maybe cuz it doesn't pour properly in U.S.?)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 6:31am
Very true U.S. made Guinness does not pour well, thats why it so hard to make a Black & tan here.
When I worked in the bar the new applicants were tested,if they claimed experience, to make a B&T. If we "had to scrape the foam of the ceiling" they didn't get hired.
a REAL B&T shaded from light golden to dark, it isn't all mud colored.
Dead
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 10:10am
When I lied about my age and got on the railway in 1975, I was introduced to black and tan by some Brits that were on the gang. They poured them for me. I believe it was a dark Porter ale and a Old Vienna lager.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 2:07pm
There was an ad for "real" Guinness years back, they made the point that only one beer was capable of retaining an initial "carved in the head" though the consumption of the entire pint. I've never been able to do it with the St Lucian, or U.S. made version.
I really dislike it when they pour it over an inverted tea spoon!Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 6:06pm
inverted teaspoon?? wtf?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 6:20pm
have not had a molson in a bit - ill pick some up ....wonder if she might like to share a couple ? BEERS BOYS ,though they are quite inviting , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 6:48am
Yeah Hoadie I've sen it done because they don't know to tilt the glass for the pour! Its lik they're trying to make Irish coffee, not pull a pint!
Then there was the place where they leveled the overflowing foam with a Popsicle stick, like the were pouring concrete instead of beer!
Dead

hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 9:17am
Oi..
Black Prince View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 3:13pm
This reminds me of the Monty Pythons song "I'm a lumberjack" look it up.
I have 4 friends in BC I meet in Sturges in 2010 at the Buffalo Chip.When on a motorcycle trip.
I know what I like & like what I know.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 3:20pm
In Ireland, is it considered a mortal sin to make a black and tan with Guinness?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 5:12pm
No, an obligation.
Tongue

It's the way its made!

Let me see if I can find you some tips.
Look at the video a few posts earlier with the link.
The whole thing is "you drink the light part through the dark part" so you have to pour in the correct order & in the correct way.
The various bottled & canned versions, which are "shaken, not stirred" are an abomination.
This:
Would certainly get you thrown out of the bar, possibly the village too!
Rule zero.
There are no, none, nada, zip, squat, bent spoons (OR other abominations) involved.
The moment one appears scroll on by.
When I hear of "spoons" I'm like Hoadie when someone, anyone,  says "stripper clips" but worse.
(someone call Matron & get the tranq gun loaded with the good stuff)

Rule one: Do not call it a "Black & Tan" in Ireland.
That was a paramilitary/police organization from back in "The troubles" & absolutely WILL get you (maybe physically) hurled from the boozer! "Guinness & Bass", works.

I can't find a good video so here goes anyway:

1: Take a draught (keg) Bass (you can do it with bottled but its a little "fizzier").
2: Pour it starting gently with the glass at a 45° angle into a Pint glass. as the glass fills tilt it slowly back to vertical to get a 1/2" head. You should be vertical to form the head for the last couple of inches.
3: Now slowly drizzle the Guinness down the side of the glass, which has been tilted back to 45°.
keep going till the liquid almost touches the lip of the glass.
4: NOW & only now finish by tilting the glass back to vertical slowly so the glass fills just as the last of the Guinness runs in.
5: Let it sit till all the foam (wait for it) sinks down & stops flowing. (yes the foam sinks through the liquid.)
https://snippetstudios.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/guinness_black-and-orange_umlaut-4.jpg
Enjoy!
HugBeer

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Black Prince Black Prince wrote:

This reminds me of the Monty Pythons song "I'm a lumberjack" look it up.
I have 4 friends in BC I meet in Sturges in 2010 at the Buffalo Chip.When on a motorcycle trip.
Oohh (there is hope for this one, young Skywalker)!
What kind of motorcycle?

Question
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2019 at 7:01pm
I am going to the liquor store tomorrow and buying a Guinness and a Bass!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 6:29am
Get several, it takes practice!
Beer
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 7:26am
What do you do with the other half of the beer while quaffing the first pour? Won't it do flat?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 7:59am
What other half?
Big smile
It all goes in a BIG glass.
BeerHug
Here's another classic for you if you get into mixing beers, a "Brown Split" kind of a milder version of the Black & tan, but made the same way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic