Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another question about my P14 rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauserdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another question about my P14 rifle
    Posted: July 06 2019 at 3:39pm
I have the rifle completely apart now and I find that my Eddystone rifle does have the "e" marking on most of the parts. A few parts have a "R". The rear sight ladder has a "W". I find no markings that shows it went through a Weedon repair. The receiver is marked * and a 2. The barrel and extractor are * marked. Not the mismatched Remington bolt body. I have ordered a 2 marked follower and magazine box. Now my question. Did this rifle go through some type of official repair/upgrade and would they have used different manufacturer marked parts. Having a difficult finding a * marked bolt. Must be like hens teeth. Thanks for any help.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2019 at 6:56pm
Methinks this will be interesting to follow
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 3:03am
I was unaware  of a Weedon marking. iirc  Weedon removed the  Volley sights  and replaced the marking disk with a wooden plug (sometimes the rifle a new stock)   The  *   mark  on the receiver indicates it takes a later slightly modified bolt.  One of the locking lugs is  different. I have a Non  "*" rifle that has the Weedon upgrades.   I can only assume that  with your rifle  the W rear sight was in the parts bin when the original sight needed replacement.  Skinnerton has  picture of the  Original and modified bolts
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 7:44am
When military rifles are repaired and/or overhauled the people doing the repairing do not care one bit about manufacturer's marks. If the part is serviceable it is used. Period. End of story. That's why it is so common to find a mix of manufacturer's parts on service rifles. Yes, people now go to great lengths to match manufacturer's marks to a receiver but during their service life it did not matter at all.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 6:11pm
these left the factory totally matching , the brits did not require interchangeability so only some bits can be swapped but that is common in any rebuild from an FR to a FTR to Weedon , waste not/want not so to speak , there are references that tell what will swap and what will not , 

Weedon also fitted 'new stocks' made in scotland to some so if there is no sign of the volleys you have one of these , the M17 stock is not a swap item , 

these are interesting rifles and one of my favorites to investigate in the past years , mine is also an eddystone fatboy stock , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic