Another 1907 bayonet question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 1907 bayonet question
    Posted: October 23 2019 at 7:37pm
another bit to tuck away for future reference , i love learning something new and its here that i get the tid bits i treasure most , thank you , 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 2:32am
he!!o 'Tonsper'.

The majority of what you have asked about your '07' example, has already been answered. Allow me to put forward what I believe to be the reason for your examples rounded blade point.

Normally, to aid in training recruits in the art of 'Bayonet Fighting', and as an added edition to the practice of using what are known as 'Fencing Muskets', recruits would be issued with a more realistic item in the form of an actual '07'. This they would attach to their own SMLE, to install amore realistic picture / feel of what they were being trained for. So as not to cause unnecessary injury, the bayonets used would have a rounded point.

As can be seen from the image above.. B + C... the blunting, or rounding off of the bayonets point within a scope of parameters.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 7:57pm
i agree with ZED on this one , very common as weedon was doing refurb between wars and return to stores , they wanted what they stored serviceable , good thing too - they needed them soon enough , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 11:30pm
I would say that it was refurbished in 1933. Probably got the refinish to the metal and new wood. It was quite common to refurb' bayonets as well as the rifles.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 10:19pm
Thanks for the info. Here are some pics of the markings, not great but hopefully useful.
Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 8:19pm
yes - lighten and "strengthen" is correct , but the indians determined an expedient to eliminate them in their shorter versions , yrt they added a false edge ...never quite figured out that one yet - delete a step add another ? they also squared the pommel , another head scratchier but i am sure there was logic somewhere , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 7:06pm
I was always told the "blood groove" or Fuller was so an edged weapon can be pulled out of a person, breaking the suction. Then I read some on blades and, stop me if I'm wrong, it's actually just to lighten and strengthen the blade. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 6:12pm
i cannot be certain without seeing the markings clearly but ;

does it have the "X" bending test marking ? 

the 'non' sharpening with crisp edges is correct , sharpening was frowned on some till 1920 - then to be done by armorers , 

it has a clearing hole so it is after 1916 or even a refurb , these were added sometimes , 

wilkinson was the largest producer at over 2.3 million by the time their first war contracts ended in 1919 but they continued to make small quantity for foreign orders - then they were the only producer in WWII ,

in 1915 they changed from a polished blade finish [bright] with blued pommel and crossguard  to sandblasted , some were later blued or parkerized , that usually indicates refurb , after 1919 they went back to polished for new production 
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 11:29pm
I have had, since the 1990s, a 1907 bayonet that has a few uncommon characteristics. It does not appear to have ever been sharpened. The edge and point are rounded and very even. It is also blackened, not paint, but possibly parkerized. It is marked either "33" or "35" on one ricasso. On the other side of the ricasso is a very faint Wilkinson.

My question, Is this an original condition bayonet, possibly for training? Comments would be welcomed.

Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic