Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loves the 150's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loves the 150's
    Posted: August 06 2019 at 7:10pm
From asking, listening and experiment, I finally hit on a cartridge load myfaux L42A1 (it is a .303) absolutely loves! I went to the range this morning and shot the lights out! (For me, anyways.) Put a couple of targets up @ 100 yds. I had some 150 PPUFMJBT's and some 150 gr Hornady Spires. Both with full sized PPU brass and Remington primers. Both 39 grs of H4895. I won't mention the size of the group anymore as I don't have an iPhone to take pics, but the Hornadys group was less than half of the PPU's. Very satisfied. Thanks for all the advise! Never thought a rifle designed for 174 gr would shoot 150's better (well, this rifle anyways!)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 3:45am
150gr sp has been my go to bullet in my enfields since the 80's.
My current loads are similar to yours except I use 3031 powder.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 6:27am
My No4 Mk2 loves the Hornady 150 gr bullets.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 7:25am
Also, I was quite surprised that the 174gr Sierra Matchking Fmj far outshot the PPU 174 great Fmj. Anyone experience similar results? Thoughts on why? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 7:52am
Just individual preferences.
The Matchkings are supposed to be very tightly QC'd as well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2019 at 6:29pm
There is a reason why competitive shooters use Match bullets.  Sierra has probably taken more winning scores than any other bullet.  That’s partly because they have been making match grade bullets for a long time and partly because they are just that good.   Lapua and Berger also make outstanding match grade bullets.  Symmetry and uniformity is critical.  

philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2019 at 2:33pm
150-grain projectiles have given me the best results so far with the Longbranch No4Mk1*.  By"best results" I mean something like 3" @ 100m, shot iron sights (although I might have been lucky on that day, haha).  Being quite new to the LE I only shot between 5-600 rounds so far trying different combinations of powder/projectiles/OAL.
In regards to the 150's, the ones I tested were the Hornady 150SP (.312), the Speer150SP (.311) and the S&B 150SP (.311).  The Old Boy seems to like the .312 much better.
I tested the Hornady 174-grain RN in .312 but it didn't give me outstanding results.
Powder were including H4895, Varget and IMR3031...
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic