Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

and it begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 6:43pm
i missed that nuance of the post - thought he was saying it was an imperfect repro , i agree with simon on this - do not try to make the silk purse of a ...... you get the idea , consider what you have and where you want to get , but by all means post the progress for us to enjoy with you , 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 2:47am
Spent most of the weekend working the stocks, mostly sanding and final fitting, and a bit of metal touch up.
Tonite I'll start putting the boiled oil to it, then assembly, then some pics, then the range......
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 5:31pm
Don`t judge to harshly, this is my first total restore, most of my others have been fix this or that.
Only assembled for pics and to make sure of final fit, 1 coat of boiled oil still needs a couple more.
The stock disc is to commemorate My grand dad Jim who volunteered in 1915, the long number is his service No, kind of messed up the centering of the date. Embarrassed
Overall I`m happy with the  results, the stocks are very nice to work with, there is a lot of fitting required, they`re not drop ins, you need patients, and real sharp chisels, and a dremel helps lots.
Next step is to get more oil on the wood, and buff it out than take her to the range hopefully this weekend.
Cheers

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 5:54pm
Extremely well done there sir...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 6:17pm
Amazing...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 6:29pm
Great job very nice!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 7:18pm
im impressed , you done just fine , good on you , it turned out near perfect in my book - you have talent we were unaware of 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 6:42am
Very nice.
Hug
Regarding BLO.
It will build to a point where it gets "blotchy" after 4 or 5 coats. That's normal, it means you're getting there. Keep going till you get an even finish (maybe a bunch of light coats.).
The original mantra was:
A coat a day for a week.
A coat a week for a month.
A coat a month for a year.
A coat a year for life!
I'd do the coat a day for a week internally too.
Its a slow painstaking process, but worth it in the end.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 7:45am
Nice job on getting the inletting for the front volley! Sorry I didn't get stuff to you, I had a crazy week last week. Very nice rifle and well done.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 2:15pm
very nice job indeed I am almost complete with my second resto on a lithgow 1915 was with the light horse in the charge of bersheeba 1917 . Somebody sported it so I feel like I need to bring it back .keep an eye out for volley sights to match the rifle they come up every now and then .i have a1916 Lithgow that has original wood but has volley sight plate ground flat with english markings .thank for your family’s service to us all
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

Nice job on getting the inletting for the front volley! Sorry I didn't get stuff to you, I had a crazy week last week. Very nice rifle and well done.

No worries, a buddy of mine graciously donated his 1910 to draw measurements from, its all good.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 4:44pm
Looks good. Nice matching set. Is it all Ralph's reproduction wood?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

Looks good. Nice matching set. Is it all Ralph's reproduction wood?

Yes it is.....
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Very nice.
Hug
Regarding BLO.
It will build to a point where it gets "blotchy" after 4 or 5 coats. That's normal, it means you're getting there. Keep going till you get an even finish (maybe a bunch of light coats.).
The original mantra was:
A coat a day for a week.
A coat a week for a month.
A coat a month for a year.
A coat a year for life!
I'd do the coat a day for a week internally too.
Its a slow painstaking process, but worth it in the end.

Thanx for posting that, BLO is a slow process for sure.
What I do as taught to me by my grand dad.
Frist, fishish/sand/scrape(if you`re a purest) to your liking then thoroughly soak in BLO, let sit for a couple hrs, then wipe and let cure.
Over the next couple days apply BLO with a rag liberally let soak wipe and let cure.
Final application is sanded in using fine 400/600 w/d sand paper keeping the sanding paper and wood well wet with BLO, sand until it feels silky at that point its done. Sanding this way fills the pours and leaves a pleasing finish. let this sit for a bit than wipe down and buff with a cotton rag.
After this, occasionally apply as required(if the wood starts looking dry, or just before going hunting).

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 9:38am
Make sure you dispose of the linseed oil rags and keep out of the sunlight. They will auto ignite!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Make sure you dispose of the linseed oil rags and keep out of the sunlight. They will auto ignite!

Yes it does, ask me how I know Wink
Usually into a can of water or directly to the fire pit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic