Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best venison recipe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best venison recipe
    Posted: August 13 2019 at 9:05am
With the season not that far away, I was wondering if you guys would share your favourite venison recipe. My go to is the traditional roast. Dredged in flour, browned in a pan with bacon drippings. Then into the slow cooker with potatoes, celery, carrots, turnip, mushrooms and onions. Add peas near the end. Mushroom soup and onion soup powder for gravy. If I want some finger food for the guys, I use the recipe I learned from a Coon Ass when I was working in Oklahoma. Venison backstrap sliced into medallions and marinated for a few hours in zesty Italian dressing. Take out, put a dab of cream cheese topped with some hot pepper rings. Roll up, slice of bacon wrapped and held with a toothpick. Put on smoking hot grill. When bacon is crispy, it's done!! Yum!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 9:43am
Wrap in bacon & slow cook over applewood.
Finish for the last few minutes directly over the coals to crisp the bacon.

If you have a big enough piece (or a whole deer)
Stuff with quartered apples & a couple of pounds of bacon. Sew up the body cavity like you would a turkey & spit roast.

If you have lots of organ meat:

Umble pie, Figgy Pudding’s version…

For the pastry:

200g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
100g butter  (cut into small, rough cubes)
large pinch of saffron
1 egg yolk
cold water (about half a mug of cold water will be needed)

For the filling:

6 strips of streaky bacon 
100g bacon lardons
200g venison offal also add venison scraps as available, but remove any fat. (kidneys, liver & sweetbreads work best; chopped & boiled for around 20 minutes until tender, then cooled)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) 4 dried apricots, diced.
1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
10 cloves
1 tsp Mace
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
100g butter
100ml red wine
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped

Boil the offal & spices (cloves, mace nutmeg & cinnamon) for 20 minutes and then leave to cool for 40 minutes. At the same time as you begin boiling the offal, If you’re using saffron to give your pastry a warm golden-hue, steep the saffron in a tablespoon of hot water for 30 minutes or so. By the time you come to use the water, it should have completely cooled.

Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; a metal bowl works best as it keeps the pastry cool. Put the cubes of butter into the flour, and with your fingers, rub the butter into the flour.  Keep rubbing until the mixture has the texture of fine, small breadcrumbs. Drop the egg yolk into a well and add 2 tablespoons of cold water and the (now-cooled) saffron water. Mix with a butter knife. Mix everything together, adding more cold water if necessary and keep mixing until a ball of pastry is easily formed.  Wrap the pastry in cling film and put in the fridge for around 30 minutes.

Roll 2/3 of the pastry out until it is thin enough to cover the base and sides of the pie dish. Then line the dish with the pastry and arrange 3 bacon rashers one way and make a criss-cross pattern by laying the other 3 slices in the opposite direction. Put the pie funnel in the centre of the pie and around this put the cooled, cooked offal and the bacon lardons. Add the pepper, salt, fruits & nutmeg. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the pie. Crimp the edges closed, using a little water to join the pie lid to the edges. You can use any leftover pastry to make leaves or more intricate designs! Brush the top of your pastry with a little milk or cream, just before placing in the oven.

Bake in  an oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. While the pie is cooking In the meantime, mix the wine, butter and thyme leaves in a saucepan. Heat until the butter melts then bring to a slow boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook down for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.

When you remove the pie from the oven pour in the wine sauce (if you have a pie funnel that allows this to be poured into the pie – even better! Serve hot with peas or other green veg.

Fresh from the oven…

The Results…

If you like liver, this won’t disappoint (but does anyone really like liver these days?). The liver and kidneys give a lovely flavour to the bacon and those juices seep into the pastry below. I think it would be better in future if the liver, kidney and lardons were all the same size, cut up very small, so that the flavours mix together far better. If all three meats placed within the pie resembled a large mince, I think the outcome could be quite delicious.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 11:37am
I still enjoy a monthly feed of liver and onions. My wife likes them too! What's a lardon?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 12:14pm
a cube of fatty bacon.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 1:28pm
...if'n your gonna use it - I got an excellant recipe for jellied moose nose. Takes bout 2 days to make..but very worth it
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 2:55pm
When I make home made pork and beans, I cube up a block of salt pork and through into the oven until crispy, then into the bean pot.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 5:54pm
evidentally, you don't want the recipe. Well, then I'll hafta submit me best DEER recipe. (tomorrow)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 6:00pm
Sorry Hoadie. Would love to here the jellied moose nose. Anything like head cheese? Unfortunately in my area, moose are few and far between. Used to be lots. Same as elk. Overhunting has decimated the herds.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2019 at 6:40pm
I'll post it morrow. Its an involved task...but MAN! its worth it
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2019 at 8:16pm
now im hungry - and its time to sleep ....
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 9:03am
HT: The jellied Moose Nose you requested -
1 upper moose jaw, 2 onions (should use wild..I use yellow), 1 Tblsp. All Spice, 1 Tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper(I use more cuz I like S&P) 1/2 cup Cider vinegar.

cut upper jawbone just below eyes. Place in large kettle w/ boiling water (about an hour). Then plunge jaw into pot w/ ice cold water. When well chilled-the hairs are removed. Wash well untill all hair is gone. Place in kettle & cover with fresh water. Add sliced onions, allspice & vinegar. Bring to boil & reduce heat & simmer until tender.(Takes a while). Cool in kettle overnite. Take meat out of the broth - remove bones & cartilage & discard.
** Nose has 2 types of meat: white from the bulb & thin strips of dark along bones**
Slice meat thinly & alternate white & dark slices in loaf pan. Reduce the broth by bout 2/3 &por remaining broth over meat & store in cool place until it jellies. Slice & eat cold. (Takes bout 2 days to make) Amaze your friends.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:13am
That sounds really good! Pretty much a moose nose head cheese. Cartalidge and bones boiled so long would contain the jelly one cold. Hoadie, if I ever get a moose again or if I know friends get drawn to keep the head for me I'll make some!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:43am
dont lose the recipe...it will die with me.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 12:23pm
Hoadie. Ya got a spare moose nose?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 12:37pm
we're talkin bout startin moose hunt agin next season(2020).
We bump into them every year hunting deer
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 2:20pm
I got drawn last year so the next time I can put in is also 2020. Jellied whitetail? Jellied coyote nose? Doesn't sound as good as moose!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic