Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another thing I know nothing about

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another thing I know nothing about
    Posted: August 16 2019 at 6:48pm
Other than it's a pointy thing you put on the end of your rifle, I've never had anything to do with bayonets. That being said, as I sit here waiting on my No1 MkIII I must say the old ones look pretty wicked! Are bayonets for No1's stupid expensive? For No1's, is it "one size fits all?" What would a lad have to pay for a decent one? Thanks!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 6:56pm
Also. What should I be looking for? As in model number, etc. Thanks again!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 9:17pm
they can be expensive , but you can find reasonable buys on these , it depends a lot on condition and if it comes with the scabbard , its a P1907 you are looking for , 17" but the indians shortened many to 12" , all will fit , 

if you are trying to match the era of your rifle you will want to check dates , these are what you seek , 

newer are on top , o;deer at bottom the hooky is quite expensive , the japanese originated this design - theirs will not fit , 

i would say you could find one from $50 - 150 without an effort , there are any number of sites that are offering them , but i have not been buying in a decade so i cannot tell you the best to seek out anymore , 

try http://oldguns.net/catedw.htm , john has a listing or two that would be correct , 
http://oldguns.net/pix/21616.jpg
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 4:08am
Good info, A square! Thank you!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 5:05am
That hooky looks to be in beautiful condition. What year is it?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 7:30am
The hookies are rare & so expensive. Most of them had the hooks removed during refurb.
It is its own world of collecting, makers, models finish & origin all feature into price.
Sharpened is bad & other odd collector desires too. Even the frogs are collectable in their own right!

This  is a repro & so worth bupkiss.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 8:08am
Last year a buddy who knows I like military stuff gave me a canvass doo dad. In the '60''s as an army brat, most of our toys were OD canvass. Holsters (roundish and squarish type) belts, pouches (now know they were for Bren gun mags!) Anyways, had no idea what he had given me. Looked it up and it's a bayonet frog. Kind of a yellow green canvass. Did they have bayonet frogs in WW2? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 9:10am
Yes. It sounds like a Brit "Pat 37" (not really, bayonet frogs weren't "patterned" nor were slings)
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/291813775527_/British-37-Pattern-Type-Canvas-Bayonet-Frog-WW2.jpg
The scabbard was separate from the frog so it could be hung from a belt, or slipped into loops on pouches & packs.
Some of the early "sword bayonets" were so long that you couldn't kneel or sit with them on a belt so they were attached to the sides of the backpack.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 11:12am
Honkytonk,
I recently got a EFD made bayo to go with my 1915 EFD SMLE, it's the right vintage for the rifle and in decent shape, got it of e-pay for $180 with scabbard and 2 frogs, one leather and the other canvas with helve(? Spelling) strap.
I think that was a good price, I found an auction watched no one was bidding and I won.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 12:54pm
Honkytonk, you have touched on one of my favorite areas of collecting!  My special weakness is collecting Pat. '07s by manufacturer. If looking for a challenge, how about giving it a try? Another option is individual makers by year. So far I have been very fortunate concerning the makers of the standard 17 inch bayonet, but am still battling with some of the shortened Indian models.

For your interest I attach photos of the standard 17" makers markings. Note how they can vary over time. I also include a "Rarity List" which two South African collectors drew up quite recently. Obviously, it only applies in South Africa and was certainly influenced by their personal experiences.  I would be interested in seeing similar lists from other countries.  

terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 1:55pm
Sorry, a finger problem! Made a mistake in copying.  No.15 in the very rare category should be "B.S.A. Siamese" not Burmese.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 3:16pm
Second (bottom) image comes up as a broken link.
Try it in  a new post sometimes the site restricts images per post for some reason.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 7:40pm
mine is a 1910 Mole 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2019 at 10:19pm
The missing  17 inch '07 "Rarity Scale".  I emphasize that this probably does not apply in countries other than South Africa and is also based upon the opinion of only two collectors.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 8:28am
Thumbs Up
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 9:06am
Shamu. I think your are right. I can read MEco something (18180?) and an arrow pointing up. Missing the little loop to hold the handle of the bayonet. Would a WW1 bayonet and scabbard fit in this? Thinking of a wall hanger. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic