Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cast bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast bullets
    Posted: August 23 2019 at 7:25am
I know there have been several posts in regards to cast bullets. The bloke that is building me my No1 asked if I was going to shoot cast out of the rifle. Is this a good thing? Do you need to cast your own or do they sell pre-cast .311 bullets? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
BJ72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BJ72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 3:51am
Hi there Honkytonk.

Ive just signed up but Ive been following this forum for quite some time. You lot seem like a pretty good bunch so I thought it was about time I joined. Being from Australia, Lithgow No1 Mk3 rifles are my thing. I have several and I've shot cast bullets out of all of them quite successfully.  There's nothing wrong with using cast, it's generally a lot cheaper and causes less barrel wear. From my own experience Ive found you generally need a cast bullet that's substantially larger than .311. All of my SMLE's measure close to, or in some cases just over, .314 grove diameter. I cast my own and use a .314 sizing die. I also use a gas check designed bullet. I can buy commercial .311 cast bullets in Aus, but for best results I find I need to cast my own. Nobody seems to sell cast bullets here that are over .311 diameter. If you want to go down the path of casting your own, Cast Bullet Engineering (CBE) in Aus make a good selection of molds. You can order direct from their web page. I have one of their 215 grain RN designs however it drops bullets around 205 grains with gas check fitted using hard ball alloy. I can shoot tighter groups with cast bullets over jacketed any day. If you haven't cast bullets before, be warned, it's a whole new hobby. 
My idea of gun control is hitting what I aim at and nothing else.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 6:14am
I cast my own, but to tell the truth, lately it is easier to just go pick up a bag and pay for the convenience of having somebody else do the dirty work of casting. I think that the last batch I picked up was from Ellwood Epps.

Look for precast, sized and lubed gas checked lead bullet. 

Not too difficult to find in Canada as is still a popular cartridge, especially for reloading.

There are velocity limitations for cast bullets, but still good for hunting and target shooting.

Cuts the costs down considerably.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 6:25am
I suspect you need to slug the rifle? A bit out of my league. A quick search and I found a Canadian site. Looks like a choice of .312, .313 or .314 gas checked and lubed. $32./100. 180 gr RN. 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 6:36am
What company was this you found, H-Tonk?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 8:04am
Jet Bullets. Make all sizes. Soft and hard alloy. .303 in 180 and 215 gr. Gas checked and lubed. Is this a path I want to go down? When you slug a barrel, are you trying to find the tighest diameter of the complete barrel? Thanks!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 8:06am
Yup. I just typed in "cast 303 British bullets Canada" and it was there.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 8:59am
Slugging, driving a well lubed soft lead object through the bore gives you the minimum dimension(s) within the barrel.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 10:25am
I thought that was the reason for slugging. That being said, if the rifle I would like to shoot cast from handles .312 Hornady, would that be a safe diameter for a cast bullet to use without slugging? I realize accuracy may be compromised. Or is slugging an absolute requirement prior to shooting cast? Thanks. This is pretty foreign ground for me. Might be easier to just shoot jacketed.
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 10:39am
hi i have 2 dedicated smles for shooting cast i use cbe moulds they way 222 gr  i mix my lead at 7 pound wheel weights/1 pound scrap solder ,i get the scrap solder from the radiator repair shop 
i gas check and size to 316” it is not the bore size that matters its the throat size the bullet will swage down
i was sizing them at 314” but 2 “ extra made tighter groups 
i run 27 gr ar2206h another good load is 16 gr ar2205
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 3:12pm
Confirmed. Gonna shoot jacketed amunition. Thank you all for input. Interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic