Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$ 50 borescope (USB)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $ 50 borescope (USB)
    Posted: August 27 2019 at 2:04pm
Wow $50.00! 0.2" head USB from Win 10 O/S!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTQF24F/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B07TTQF24F&linkCode=as2&tag=jdteta-20

Actual video here (pretty scary stuff)! It looks along the bore axis & comes with a mirror for detailed 90° viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMyLAOI6n8&feature=youtu.be

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 2:22pm
I think I'd rather not know any more than the naked eye/flashlight test reveals!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2019 at 10:42pm
Interesting video. It would be useful to scope a new barrel to compare. But the one in the video seems to have a lot of cracking at the throat. Looks like it's been very hot. Did they shoot 400 rounds at one sitting?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 6:30am
I think it was several different barrels he was showing to illustrate how useful the scope can be?
One was badly crazed, another rusty & so on.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 8:21am
I got one , but its not the 6 mm head ..... they sent me the wrong size or the wife ordered the wrong size !!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 9:27am
My bad its actually 0.20", (5mm) not 6mm, sorry klutzfingered it.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 10:44pm
I watched the video again; paying more attention this time. Looks like one barrel from chamber to muzzle. I would not be happy with that amount of crazing in the throat area after 400 rounds if I'd just bought a new Remington 700.
It would be interesting to know what ammunition was being used.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 6:28am
300RUM is a very hot loaded cartridge, but yes, that looks terrible.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 10:26pm
thats a bit scary and at the same time fascinating 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2019 at 8:22am
I heard back from the maker/importer. Its usable in a single pass for a single continuous 40" run. That's bore & breech from the breech end or a long barrel from the muzzle end.

Placed an order & I'll do a range report when it arrives & I practice a bit with it.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 10:34am
Well it arrived.
First impressions, unpacking setup & so on.

I thought you guys might be interested in this little goody.

US$ 50.oo Telsong endoscope review.

Unpacking:

Comes in a nice little 7” X 5” X 2” clam-she!! case with a zip.

Inside is the flex USB cable with its 2 USB & Mini USB connectors, the other has the actual semi-rigid bore-scope (good for a 40” run), more than enough, for example for a Lee Enfield No4 from the breech end, including the chamber & action. There is a lock-nut & the threaded 45° mirror attachment for sideways viewing. More on that later.

The 2 are connected by a multi pin plug & socket with a keyed alignment for use.

There are also a minimal (at best) instruction leaflet, a pack of alcohol wipes (for cleaning the mirror & lens ends, if needed) & some bumf, misc advertising & warranty cards.

Setup:

Urk! Seriously it could be better, but it does work in the end!

You go to a website & download a file & unzip it, run it, then find it (there is no shortcut its in a folder called “NTE”, probably in your “documents” folder) create a shortcut & open it. Then you manually create a directory for the app & the files created. It seems from my first impression to ONLY generate an .AVI file.

Once that's done connect the 2 halves & plug into the USB port you like. Now run the software. It says there are 2 sets, on for the camera & the other for an app that uses the camera. My Win 10 blocks the camera app so I can only use the “AmCap” file with its own setup.

USE:

“First time out of the gate” is klutzy.

You have to create a folder for the files it will generate, It doesn't do it, again its manual. I just made one called “bore-scope” in the” Videos” section of Win 10.

Now you connect the camera & turn it on. Then you turn on the lights in the head & adjust them, a simple turn a wheel setting on the cable.

Next you set the focus. This is a bit tricky you have to manually set it for every bore diameter, closer to the lens for bigger bores, further for small ones. You see a live feed on your monitor in a small window onscreen which you can simply drag to enlarge. Then lock the mirror in place with the lock-nut.

My big problem, as a new user was getting used to the head “flopping about” in the bore, it flaps about going in & out of focus as you maneuver it. I think I'm going to make some kind of sleeve at close to bore dia. to cure this, its bad particularly if you rotate the rod to look around laterally.

Software:

Overly complex for a simple video recording!

You have to create a file, store the (empty) file, set the video up & capture it, THEN you also have to save the captured file or you loose it. There are a few nice options like frame capture rate you can set to your preferences. You MUST create & store a new file name every time you do a capture or when saving a new one it will overwrite the named file. There will be no warning.

I've not found a “View file” option yet, that is done by opening the saved file in any windows video app that supports .AVI files.

What does it show?

EVERYTHING! & at close up high magnification. Its rather disconcerting at first it does look pretty terrifying! Seriously look at a known really nice bore FIRST, then you'll have a frame of reference for all the others.

My really nice No4 Mk2 looks filthy & metal plated, its my best bore & has been meticulously maintained. My No1 MkIII looks like a rusty sewer & that's after cleaning! Visually before I'd have called “Frosted”!

Conclusion:

Its a useful tool if a little clumsily executed, it does let you see things you never knew about for example I'm changing my cleaning methods & running some JB bore paste through both the No1 & The No5, something I don't normally do. Afterwards Ill run the scope through again & see what improvements I've made. The actual scope & its hardware is nice, but the software desperately needs help.

I suffer from a thing called “Primary Tremor” which makes my hands tremble sometimes, its a pain when guiding something like the scope, I did find its easier to push in fully, then pull back to record as it gives a much smoother motion & its easier to run it slowly, which is important. Rotating the scope (which you need to do because of the mirror looking sideways) takes a little practice, the flex shaft in the bore & the external USB is kind of “springy” when doing it.

Would I but it again?

YES! But I'd get some better software to run it now the drivers are installed so the computer recognizes the USB camera.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 1:08pm
UPDATED again.
Got the second app (Endoscope camera .exe) working & can now view & Edit with my usual software (Windows Movie Maker) & even post to U-tube now as it also does the MP4 Conversion when I'm done.
This is the firs attempt at the No4 Mk2 bore, Its actually backwards (sorta) as the optic is inserted fully into the breech & fed through to the muzzle, then the recording starts as its withdrawn, so the video is muzzle to chamber.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 10:24am
can't see the video Shamu. It shows black screen and a message "video is private"
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 2:14pm
Hmmm let me see if I can fix that.
OK, try now I changed the default setting on U-Tube to "public"

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 3:41pm
How are these:

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 4:12am
Good videos Shamu.  The No4Mk2 looks fresh; with a few copper deposits.
The SMLE looks quite badly pitted with the borescope. How does it look with the naked eye?
How do they compare for accuracy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic