Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What 303 is this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 9:52pm
A_square, all I am saying is we need to see more to be certain. It is suspicious at this point, yes, but we honestly can't say definitely without seeing a bit more. I'm always the optimist Big smile
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:00am
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:03am
these pics had to be screen shot just to be able to get a low resolution to post on this forum. Lol oh well 
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:05am
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:06am
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 3:10am
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:08am
Its definitely a rifle that has been sporterized at one time.  Can you post a picture of the flat side of the receiver please.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:20am
BNP is the Birmingham Nitro Proof marking that was introduced in 1954.

Somewhere marked with these proofs will be a tiny symbol of crossed flags with letters. I dont see it. This can give us the year in which the proofs were applied.

Just looking at the detail and machining, my gut tells me that this is a Brit made rifle not Dara.

If the rifle was configured at some time and used as a sporter, I would expect to see some blue or finish underneath the wood line of even a sporter front end. My thinking is that this barreled action has been sand blasted or caustic soda soaked to produce that overall stripped look.

Somebody's unfinished project?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:24am
yes it has been stripped. It was solid rust when I got it. But here are a couple more pics 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:25am
I would say someone's unfinished project as well. The charger bridge is gone.
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:27am
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:29am
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:30am
Lol. Good eyes Bear!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:31am
I figure it had been modified at some point. I picked it up for free and thought it would be a good project to play with. But I dont know anything about these rifles and was looking for any info that would help. Thanks again yall
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 11:51am
Looking at the overall condition from the photos; I don't think it would make a great project. 
You'd be better off spending your hard earned cash on a good condition No4Mk1 with matching numbers and a good bore. 
Once you've got the Enfield bug (you will get it if you buy one!) look for an interesting project that's worthwhile.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 1:34pm
I agree I just had it looked at by a gun smith who is very knowledgeable on Lee's. He said it definitely is no4 mk1 that was sporterized at one point. Rear sight lugs milled off and barrel cut. And a redfeild sight installed. I think this project just turned into a lamp. It will make a great lamp for the gun room. Thanks for all yalls help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic