Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member/owner with questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pkocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member/owner with questions
    Posted: September 03 2019 at 7:50pm
he!!o everyone. I've inherited a few guns recently, one of which is this British 303 that I'm looking to learn more about. Can anyone here take a look and give me their thoughts on what they see? Model? Date of manufacture? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!
Paul
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 5:14pm
it is a no4 rifle mkI , looks like it might be BSA and all i can see is 194? , if its BSA they had multiple contractors and i need the serial number to pin it down any better , i cannot see that either sorry , 

it is wearing a later war expedient rear flip site but that could have been changed 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 9:25pm
A square. 
The serial number is 35326 or 35926. It also has the early No1Mk111 cocking piece. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:14pm
That round cocking piece was common on very early No 4 production, especially Savage and Long Branch manufacture. Finding a Maltby bolt with early cocking piece is like finding rocking horse poo, so I bet the bolt is from a North American built rifle.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:33pm
This is the cocking piece  I see.
This is the early Savage cocking piece on my rifle.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2019 at 10:41pm
With your comparison photos I see what you mean. The cocking piece on the OP's rifle does not seem to have the thickness and tapering of the No 4 knob. So, that could mean a No 1 type knob and striker in a No 4 bolt body.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 10:10pm
that could be the case , it is early in either development with that shape 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 10:22pm
based on goosics reading of the serial number its BSAs second contract , that would have included a single letter prefix , i would say 44 or later , 

the cocking knob is indicative of their earlier 42 production but those serial numbers were four digits from 1000-9999 for what that is worth
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:18am
I'm amazed at how you guys are able to pull out so much information and détails, only based on a few pictures....Thumbs Up
Ok, I know that some of you guys have been juggling with these 303's for décades and that it certainy explains why....but still...Smile
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 4:19pm
those other two are constantly working with projects and such so used to looking at the little bits that assemble the story , bear is researching his book so constantly updating his closet full of info , im pulling from old dusty drawers both physical and mental so mine misses the mark from time to time , 

there are a lot of great sources of info on this site - a lot of them have not posted here , but they will when the mood hits them as you can see from other threads , 
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 6:55pm
Now y'all are making me want to get back into my gun shop and put some projects together that are just laying around !!!  I have been at the other house on my property making beer ...and drinking it !! among other projects that keep me out the gun shop ....not to mention work, as that is where I am right now ... out in the gulf commissioning equipment on the Appomattox for She!! !!
Maybe this winter I can get a couple of rifles completed that I have been neglecting !  and an old Mossberg shotgun restoration for my son !

"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 6:56pm
Well, that explains why you haven't returned my calls or texts
Loose wimmen tightened here
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Well, that explains why you haven't returned my calls or texts

Hoadie, I got sent out here over a week ago, we are scheduled to fly in this coming saturday, but they want us to stay or at least have a couple more guys come and replace us... I called my manager today and gave him the scoop! The 2 guys I requested are on the Enchalada ! he told me a name for who he had available and I went off on a cursing rant and told him that I would not send that one out here if our reputation was important !!  the guy is a DUD !
Any how I may have to stay and let Hayden go in, and have the kid that replaced Hayden right before Christmas when his youngest was born ...then have Hayden take my place in a week, so at least we will have some one here who knows the Laser Alignment tool and how to use it , and also knows who gets what paper work ....  I think the kid could handle it , he has been in my back pocket for over a year or so now !!  picks up on things real well !!
You know your getting old when your trainee is the son of an old high school buddy !!

I will see how things work out tomorrow when I have my conference call with the office, I will call ya when I hit the beach !
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic