Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lithgow Lee Enfield no1mk3 SMLE 1919

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithgow Lee Enfield no1mk3 SMLE 1919
    Posted: September 05 2019 at 10:46am
Hi Guys

Bear43 suggested that I share a little bit about my rifle.

It is a 1919 Lee Enfield no1mk3 SMLE from Lithgow Australia.
As far as the history goes, I only know that my grandfather used the rifle for sport shooting in the 1950's and early 1960's. He passed away in 1964. My dad looked after the rifle , keeping it in a good working condition. He took it out shooting a couple times in forty years. In 2017 the rifle became mine.
Very excited about my new old gun, I took it to the range.......it was bad, it didn't group at all. Ammo 174gr FMJBT PMP. Group size +/- 4"-5" and moving after a couple shots. After doing some research I found a book on Amazon "The 2012 Complete Book On Lee Enfield Accurizing". I removed all the old packing material that my grandfather put in between the barrel and forehand stock. I took a modern approach to accurize my classic battle rifle.
I glassed bed the receiver in the stock with the barrel against the bottom forehand stock. The reason for this is when I put the tensioning spring back it lifted the barrel off the forehand stock that gave me a floating barrel. I also trimmed the spring so that the barrel was in the centre of the nose cap.
Trying different types of ammo I found that it groups best with the Hornady 174gr Interlock Soft Point and Peregrine Bush Masters. Group size was now just above 1" at 100 meters. I'm very happy with his. This year I decided to go hunting wit me rifle celebrating its 100year anniversary.   
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 7:40pm
It sure is a pretty rifle and the family connection really makes it more valuable to you. Good on you for getting shooting well again and I loved seeing those pictures of the game you took with it.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2019 at 9:36pm
it is wonderful to hear you still have the rifle your father loved , sorry to hear of his passing but i see you have had many years to adjust - where has this been all this time ? 

glad to see it in such good nick , and happy to hear you have tried to make it yours in your efforts to shoot well with it , you need to remember these were battle rifles not target rifles tho , even though some have been improved to that status not all will do that , 
they were mass produced in times of war and needed to function to minute of man , not a score 
that said you sound like you have taken the steps to make this one work within modern methods to that level , glad you are getting those results - enjoy it , cherish it , pass it on to the next generation that care about it , it is how we save them , 
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:40am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:41am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:41am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:42am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:43am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 7:44am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 8:00am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 8:01am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 8:02am
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 8:02am
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 9:25am
Where the heck did you get those bullets?? I think I'm in love!
Witwillem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Witwillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 11:23am
This is Peregrine 168gr Bush Master monolithic bullets from South Africa. Very nice hunting bullet, but not feeding smoothly thru magazine, Hornady Interlock round nose bullets gave me more or less same results with better feeding thru magazine. But they are beautiful and it helps when you spend some time polishing them with a metal polish. For me it is all in the presentation of the bullets. I hand load all of my bullets. These are loaded with Vihtavuori N140 39.5gr.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2019 at 4:44pm
Very nice shooting rifle!  

We are the temporary custodians of these rifles and there will only be fewer as time passes.  We will do well to preserve them for future generations.  I sometimes struggle with how much I shoot mine, it’s hard to find original barrels in good condition.  On the other hand, who knows how long it will be until all firearms are banned from private ownership.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic