Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lithgow 1916 LightHorse rifle update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithgow 1916 LightHorse rifle update
    Posted: September 07 2019 at 1:21pm
Hi all been busy trying to play Gc from across the world building a house in Aussie , here is some updated pictures of the old girl new forestock and upper hand guards are only wood additions .enjoy the pics . The original windage adjustable sight need to go back on I am having trouble taking the pin out of the wheel so I can replace the sight adjustment .Ps there is an aldis scope on there I don’t know much about maybe for another rifle that has been bubba ‘d.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 4:09pm
Is the pin tapered?
Many L-E pins are, try tapping it out the other way.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 5:16pm
Those pins are tappered, as I dicovered with mine, bent two drifts in the process.
Once figured it came loose with a couple light taps.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 6:54pm
nice looking rifle and kit , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 4:40am
The pin holding the thumb wheel onto the shaft of the windage adjustable sight is a tiny straight pin, not tapered. 

I have refurbished a couple of these sights. To get that tiny pin out from the wheel, you would need to drive it with an even tinier pin punch. And after all these years that pin wont want to move, it ain't going to happen unless you have the right tools and maybe some heat

But to tell you the truth, because I was rebuilding it and had the parts ready, I found it simply most expedient to crank on the wheel and keep going with pliers until the shaft shears and the wheel falls off. The sight can then be dismantled and the threaded shaft replaced along with a new wheel.
I am sure that it could be taken apart without breaking anything given enough time and attention. I just had no luck.

There is a chap with the handle 'oilermark' on ebay, he had put together some rebuild kits, everything you needed. New cap, shaft, wheel, pin, and most important, a new tension spring.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 4:52am
The pin on mine was tapered.... once out I mic'd it, its tapered.
Plus I had to make a new spring, I use an auto body clip, the black folded spring steel type, same thickness carefully traced and cut with my dremel then bent to shape, worked out perfect.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 5:15am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Plus I had to make a new spring, I use an auto body clip, the black folded spring steel type, same thickness carefully traced and cut with my dremel then bent to shape, worked out perfect.

Are you referring to same pin?
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 5:26am
Well maybe that is why I had a bear of a time trying unsuccessfully to get the pin out??. I was driving it the wrong way!! I never did get it out.

The replacement wheel and shaft had a straight pin to secure the wheel. Later version perhaps?

These sights were dropped from production circa 1916, no?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Homer Homer wrote:

Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Are you referring to same pin?

Yes sir, on my 1915 EFD No1 MkIII.

smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 1:51pm
ok to settle the argument the pin is tapered . Here’s is a picture of the replacement windage adjustable sight.what do you bloke think of the aldis scope while it is not for this rifle I would like to see if anyone knows it’s origin as it is not like any other aldis I have seen.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 8:25pm
fun discussion , i learned a bit here , always makes it worth reading , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic