Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Enfield
    Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:52am
It is the one on the far left, This is the only picture I have at the moment.
I have yet to see one like it so if anyone could tell me any information on it, it would be much appreciated. It is a Mk5 no2

Sponsored Links

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2012 at 11:04pm
You seem to have a #5 Mk1, also known as a "Jungle Carbine", but there are a few things wrong, or not shown clearly in the picture.

The slip on butt pad hides the actual butt of the rifle, it should have a metal rim surrounding a hard black rubber butt pad of reduced dimensions. Unfortunately the #5s had a reputation for kicking hard & so a lot of them had additional padding added to the butt to make them more comfortable.

The shorter barrel & combination front sight/flash hider are also a #5 feature as no other model was fitted with such a device, & the hole in the bolt knob is also a feature (but not a unique one) of the #5.

Essentially the #5 was an attempt to make a lighter, handier version of the #4 rifle. To do this there were several things done to reduce weight & bulk. They were very popular rifles for a while & are quite collectable if they are 100% original, but this meant many copies, homages & outright fakes were made as well. Here's a pic of a #4 so you can compare the features & see where wood & metal were removed for the #5.

Something does not look correct about the front end of the stock, but from the angle of the picture it is hard to tell. Take a look in the links section lower down the forum & there are connections to several historical information sites that have a lot more detail. Particularly look for the various lightening cuts in the barrel & receiver as most of the fakes & copies don't have these cuts. As Allan de enfield said in the other thread there never was a #5 Mk2, just a Mk1, there was a #4 Mk2, but it looked like the picture above with wood all the way up the barrel. Where did you get the #5Mk2 information from, maybe it was re-stamped, which would indicate a conversion as well?

Even if you have a replica, copy, homage, or forgery it might still make a very nice hunting rifle perfectly capable of taking down anything on the continent. The scope & its mount are an aftermarket add on, the original had iron sights only.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 6:38am
shamu has given you most everything i could offer without better photos ,

"Where did you get the #5Mk2 information from, maybe it was re-stamped, which would indicate a conversion as well?"

this is the next thing that crossed my mind as well - perhaps a gibbs rifle , they got creative in their markings , i think an attempt at honesty actually

Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 8:56am
The actual gun is at my dads. I am 100% sure it is a mk5, So it must be a no1. It also looks as if the front end of the stock was cut down. My dad got the rifle from his grandmother who bought it brand new i do believe, my father said it has looked exactly as is since he was 14, and he is now 47
Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 9:15am
Under the shoulder pad there is an indention in the middle and  it looks as if there was a metal plate over it or something. 
Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 10:54am
The year is also 1947
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 10:56am
47 would be good for a no5 , but if you are certain its marked as a mk5 - it has to be something someone made out of a no4 rifle ,
Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 11:56am
And why is this? I'm sorry to ask so many question I am just curious.
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 3:39pm
This is a Mk5

This is a No5

LE Owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LE Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 4:58pm
The "lightening cuts" are what differentiates a No.5 action body and barrel from a cut down No.4.

Besides copies made from No.4 rifles a few No.5 carbines that suffered spreading of the rear walls were rebuilt in theatre using No.4 action bodies.
One of these if it could be properly identified would be a unusual collectors item.
Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:24am
Originally posted by 5thBatt 5thBatt wrote:

This is a Mk5

This is a No5

Mine looks A whole lot like the bottom one. But the front of the stock has been nicely cut down to behind that metal ring, and the top wooden part of the stock is removed. It looks really nice. About how much would something like that be worth? It is in good condition.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 5:30am
Unfortunately the value is determined largely by authenticity, & completeness. Cutting the stock has made the rifle a "bubba", or more charitably a "sporterised" version of the original, as in a modified version of the original.

It may well be a sweet shooting rifle but the modifications have dropped the collector value quite a bit. You might find original #5 wood & replace the curt down with a replacement, but it still won't have the historical value the original did.

The butt originally had a metal skeleton frame buttplate surrounding a hard rubber pad of reduced dimensions (IMO one of the reasons the carbine had a reputation for hard recoil), you'd need to find & replace those as well. The correct #5 rear sight would need to be found & replaced as well as the scope & mount weren't "issue". The #5 had a different sight from the #4, (it went to 8000yds instead of 1300 IIRC), so you can't just pop a #4 one in there to enhance collector value.

Assuming all the parts match, it is is good condition & so on round here it'd probably go for $350.00 after returning to original condition.
Ansa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 6:24am
Alright, I am not worried about restoring it or anything, I Really love it as is, scope and all. But thank you for the input, The Only thing I'd like to have back on it is the bayonet, Do you have an idea of what the original bayonet would look like?
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:36am
and actually that first rifle is technically a mkV , this is why nomenclature is so important ,

i am going to assume yours is  a butchered no5  with the flash supressor and lug you need a no5 knife bayonet , it is third from the left  , the rest are for the no4 , spike bayonet  or the no7 or no9 blades , these - will not fit your rifle in spite of similarity of blade or muzzle rings

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:51am
His Rifle has the bayonet lug so the third from the left is correct they run $75-100
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Special Member
Special Member

Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 9:52am
thanks i realized that and corrected my post , sorry i got carried away
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic