Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dirty bolt and deer season-umm help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty bolt and deer season-umm help!
    Posted: November 06 2006 at 3:39am
Heres the deal, deer season starts 11 Nov. and is only for one week (firearm season that is). I want to use my Savage #4 MK1*. Of course it's still covered with cosmoline. Cleaning and zeroing will not be a problem. Except for cleaning the bolt. How do I properly disassemble the bolt for a complete cleaning?
Sponsored Links

Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 6:28am
All you should really need to do is remove the bolt head and make sure it's clean.  You will need a special tool to remove the actual firing pin.  All I have ever done is remove the bolt head and use long Q-tips and gun cleaner.  I spray cleaner down the bolt and use q-tips to remove any cosmolene. I wouldn't remove anything unless you have the proper tools.

HTH,

Eric
oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 3:30pm
Thank you Eric. You wouldn't happen to have the plans to make the tool to remove the firing pin or know where I can purchase the tool would you?
Eric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 4:13am
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 9:52am
Oldbikewrench, ( as in you wrench on old bikes, or you've been doing it a long time?)
Send me an email, I have pictures but I can't paste them on here.
Karico@sbcglobal.net
Ed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 5:21pm
G'day Mate welcome to the twilight zone!!!!! The surest way to clean your Bolt without getting into a world of despare ,is simply to remove the Bolt Head & give it a good spray with Gun scrubber, or some other gunolvent under preasure ! Then use a spray gun oil (or if your like me WD40) hang it & let it dry & reassemble !

Dave 
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2006 at 8:28pm
I always use petrol with a dash of engine oil to degrease things.
The petrol will evaporate leaving the oil behind.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Lithgow Lithgow wrote:

I always use petrol with a dash of engine oil to degrease things.
The petrol will evaporate leaving the oil behind.

(He sniffs the petrol !!!!!!!Shocked)  2 stroke Fuel is the go for that sort of cleaning I used to use it on my Browning Buckmark ! I was'nt going to mention it as I thought I'd get howed down ! Many years ago in the army I had the mis fortune to be issued with a F1 sub machine gun (they took our owens off of us Cry) I used to disasemble it & drop the barrel & action in the Petrol Tank of the Old International 4x4 Trucks we drove to clean it !

Dave
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 10:28am
Did you drive those Internationals, Dave, or just use them to intimidate the tanks?
Ed
shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 10:46am
Hey Ed, don't you go making fun of those binders.  At least not while I'm present.  They made rifles too you know.
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 11:45am
No, I'm a fan! Those trucks got lousy gas mileage, but they were darn near indestructible! My brother had a 63 4x4 carry-all. Some Porsche or other dainty car would try to pull out in front of me and I'd just grin and keep going. They always changed their mind!
Ed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 7:21pm
Mate ! I alway had a problem with any sort of armour ! APC's normaly ment going to work ! Their a bloody big target & people tend to shoot at them ! A for the Old Centurians the Aust army had ? They spent most of their time either bogged ,broken down or as gun platforms !

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 2:43am
Oi dad! You said you were servicing chariots for ben Hur never said anything about the Aussie Army!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

oldbikewrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbikewrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 2:49pm
Thanks for the help and advice folks. But with me being a bike mechanic-well I like disassembling things to see how they work. I don't do to bad putting them back together. Generally only have one or two pieces left when I'm finishedWinkLOL.
By the way, I got the bolt apart, cleaned and reassembled. Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic