Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

casting the chamber of a 303

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: casting the chamber of a 303
    Posted: June 26 2014 at 8:30am
I want to find out what the dimensions of my '54 No.4 chamber is.

I think Cerocast is a brand name of a product used in a molten state to pour into the chamber and remove when cooled, it produces a representative shape and size of my chamber?
what is a fair price to pay a gunsmith to provide this service?

My gunsmith wants to charge 75 bucks to do this and says it may take as long as a week to get to it.....?

anybody know of a noted competent gunsmith that can rebarrel a no.4 and do some accurizing work on them?
Sponsored Links

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 8:53pm
Its called "Cerrosafe". I'd say 75 is fair & for gunsmithing work of any kind a week isn't at all bad. Its very much a one  on one process & most smiths work alone or in groups of just one or two.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 9:47pm
75 bucks sounds ok to me. Most tradesmen won't pick up the phone for less than that in Australia.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 6:37pm
There is a product I use from Duratech, it's a plastic mouldable mix, comes in plastic beads that you heat in water to soften, knead them together and press the mould into the chamber.
 Allow to cool, push out and Wallah, 0ne chamber caste.
 The beauty of this stuff is it's reusable, I use an ear plug to block the front of the chamber.
 Now don't ask me where to get it.......google is your friend.

Polymorph pellets!Thumbs Up
snuffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 8:00am
Just ordered some"instamorph" from amazon...I have several barrels I'm curious about...hope this stuff works      SmileSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 5:44pm
Let us know how you get on.
hybridfiat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybridfiat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 8:37pm
Cerosafe is used because it does not shrink nor expand once cast. That cannot be said for plastic, so I'd let the gunsmith do it. Molten sulphur used to be used as it makes stable casts at relatively low temps but it is very brittle and unpleasant to work with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 7:23pm
Not quite correct, all metal contracts as it cools, Cerosafe needs to in order to release, it just contracts less than other metals. 
 Polymorph plastic does exactly the same, and is used in the gun trade specifically for this purpose, I've been using it since it's release, being less damaging to chambers, requiring less heat (hot water or hair dryer) and excess is easier to remove if inadvertently allowed to flow into extractor recesses, as molten metal will do.

Just in case you haven't twigged, this is my trade.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic